Chris. Is this what you have in mind for the GUI?

Aelius

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/89385472.jpg/

The image represents the global UI, any screen/window when clicked will become full screen. ie: you want to see research, click the window that shows research "hangar" and the research "hangar" will become full screen, etc etc. The global UI room will have 2 states, one regular (with regular light) when time compressed and nothing unusual is going on, and when events happen.

Lets say a UFO is detected, immediately the global UI room would change to a "red alert" style lighting and 5 secs, click the geoscape to become full screen and issue orders to the planes. The minimized geoscape should be big enough to see the planes approaching the target, when intercept happens the dog-fight screen will be focused and enlarged to full screen automatically

Lets say a research was completed, time elapse turns to 5 secs and the research window on the global UI room "glows" etc.

Again my English is not perfect i hope you understand what i mean

PS: This was made with windows paint, thus its a very rough draft

Edited by Aelius
By some reason images links are not working

By my understanding, no. Not quite like that.

I think it'll be more that there will always be one main screen (geoscape, research, personnel, etc) and that screen will have all the major information.

But projecting partially onto that screen will be compressed versions or links to other screens which can be focussed on to expand (by moving the viewpoint), or clicked on to change screen. So for the Geoscape, most of the screen will be the map, and across the bottom will be various information things. Like a message panel with the various reports updating on it: UFO events, manufacture progress reports, research reports, trooper/aircraft updates. Clicking on the reports would probably either focus on the event location or switch to the appropriate screen.