When does the Alpha end?

No, corrupted saves just happen when you save whilst having too many ufo's on geoscape (that's just my speculation, but it goes well with what I've seen in game).

The alpha ends in August. No specific date I'm afraid. Once my game ended by last day of august, then another one by 16th of august. It depends on the ticker and I really have no idea what the ticker "ticks" anyway.

It probably ends when ticker says to game to move on to next phase of alien invasion.

Correct.

I've had games right out to the end of September. In fact, I've got a current save which is the second of Sept 1979 and is showing no signs of stopping yet.

Hint: Shoot down or destroy every UFO you can, visit every crashsite possible. The ticker goes up slower.

Also, this thread is a question thread not a bug report.

Yeah the game has a hidden ticker that counts up as aliens manage to complete their missions.

You can make the game last longer by shooting down more enemies and completing more missions.

The game ends with a proper game over type screen though not with a crash.