What I would like to have most, when thinking back to XCOM, would be:

- more different tilesets/varied locations for missions; they got kinda bland towards the latter half of the game

- the ability to move while crouched or crawling along (kinda as in Jagged Alliance)

- a function to set for each individual soldier how I want him to do his reaction fire (probably too complicated, though); I really don't want the rocketeer to use his bazooka in response to an alien (so I want a "don't use reaction fire", too) walking into view closeby

Otherwise I need to become more adapt at not getting shot down by alien aircraft...

so I want a "don't use reaction fire

Yeah, I remember having to be careful with that, when I wanted to capture an alien commander a couple of times. Because the leader was the only one left, I just had everyone standing around while the guy with the stun rod got there. With so many Aps left they shot the leader before I could stun him.

Don't think rocket launchers use reaction fire.

Best bet when you are waiting for your stun rod trooper to close in was to pelt the enemy with smoke grenades.

Do a bit of stun damage to prime him for the zap to the back of the head but also usually stops your troops taking shots at him.

I think they should add a nuclear warhead ammo to the bazooca at some point in the game... Something a la Starship Troopers.

great idea. But why actually turn up to use it? We could just have a bleak, 1970s command room with a Big Bright Button that nukes them from orbit. You'd like that :)

The point of the game would be to be to press the button decisively/ or by reaction time/ or setting the coordinates before hand off of a Geoscape Map (so the graphics there don't go to waste).

Then all you'd need are two animations. One for the aliens going 'Aaaargh! and another with them going 'Nayah! Missed us! Gah! prevailing winds!"

This game design lark is a doddle :)

I was picturing the Muton animations from the original when I was typing. I believe there may even be an alarm button in there somewhere. That could be tweaked to be your launch button.

Yes, pledge $250 and a year's supply of almond slices and we will give you.

XenoDeath From Above!

...Nuke 'Em From Orbit

Some new ideas for game ... -

1.) Peek around the corner

(Looking out around the corner wall)

1b) Throwing a grenade around the corner,

with NO looking out around the corner.

2.) Use Ja2 system for movement.

Run, go, go-squatting, crawling.

lie on the floor function - for snipers.

go-squatting - this function is very necessary,

because without - covers have no meaning when moving.

(when aliens shooting in you)

(on\off - silent mode for movement)

3.) Open doors not completely function - 25% \ 50% \ 100%

(look into the room through doorway)

4.) Setting traps on the door

(such as grenade, c4)

alien open door and Booomm ! :)

- aliens can make it too !

4b) Closed doors - which you need to crack.

(like in ja2)

5.) Shot in the head, if there is a skill - sniper.

6.) Setting grenades as a trap, if solder have exploser skill.

7.) Strafe left\right, go back.

(Ja2 system of movement)

8.) Traces of blood when the object has a wound.

(red, green, blue, orange or black as oil, if alien is a mechanical)

9.) "Large avatars" view of all team.

(ja2 interface)

10.) Add visual liveliness, - add to the background -

cats, dogs, birds, - cows in the fields, goats, sheeps and other livestock.

:)

11.) Make an animated trees and bushes.

12.) Ability to mine the way - if the coating allows.

(laying of mines) - aliens can make it too !

13.) Hotkeys such as ctrl+s \ ctrl+l - fast loading\saving.

14.) Add animation when a soldier is idle ...

(as in ja2)

15.) Add Value stamina (energy) as was at X-com & is in ja2 game,

so when you run - stamina go down, if a soldier is overloaded - stamina go down.

If breathing gas or smoke - stamina go down.

15b.) gas masks.

16.) Ability crush(kill) the alien with machine\tank.

----------

Some ideas for engine -

1f76a57272c77dbf585a3c75f4d60b89.jpeg 4f570ac659ab64770c74ed23b2c26965.jpeg 10f032fb587abb547ba3aef248c60fa0.jpeg 3f8cd3db04ac806c6d862784a846d8fb.jpeg 77af26a819ad9561ade1f92e46d1fef6.jpeg 2c4fbe697a41ddb9f1ddc1f29b22e152.jpeg a9453ed9a25c1ce9e879ae90eb9d531b.jpeg a534c475c3cb3eb0ef5f192dc3ddd8dd.jpeg

Nah, someone is just fooling around and makin' changes to the Matrix again...

PS: it seems like JA2 did eveything right, when it comes to tactical combat game. Shame no other game in this genre never even came close to it's quality.

Visible soldiers behind walls are great addition idea and it might not even be too hard to implement?

The battlefield view could use a zero-zero level. By that I mean toggle for making walls disappear on the ground level, so you see what's behind them.

Visible soldiers behind walls are great addition idea and it might not even be too hard to implement?

That is one of the many things they are working on.

It is harder than you might think in the current game engine.

Actually I think pretty much everything in game_testers post has been suggested at least a couple of times.

Most of it has been shot down, either by Chris or other forum users who don't want that specific feature.

That is a problem really, there aren't many suggestions that haven't been made and you can't always tell until you make them again :P

1. Much more research options.

2. Much more back story and using existing alien folklore.

3. More equipment and weapon types, vehicle types, fighter types.

4. More intelligence in alien AI. In the air they go on missions or hunt and shoot down xcom planes. On the ground they move, come out of the ufo, and hunt down xcom troops, perhaps try to blow up the chinook or kill all hunams.

5. Lots of customization for players. Allow developer mapset tools, weapons packs, aliens packs, ect.... this will keep the game alive and going for years.

1. Much more research options.

Will be on the way in Beta and beyond.

2. Much more back story and using existing alien folklore.

Doesn't seem to be the way this one is going. It's hard to tell, as we've only got some of the storyline. It can always be modded later, hopefully. I know I'm probably going to.

3. More equipment and weapon types, vehicle types, fighter types.

Like research, very much on the way.

4. More intelligence in alien AI. In the air they go on missions or hunt and shoot down xcom planes. On the ground they move, come out of the ufo, and hunt down xcom troops, perhaps try to blow up the chinook or kill all hunams.

From other posts, I believe this is also very much in the minds of the devs.

5. Lots of customization for players. Allow developer mapset tools, weapons packs, aliens packs, ect.... this will keep the game alive and going for years.

An eye for midding was pitched in the stretch goals threads. I'm not entirely sure how that turned out. Hopefully the Devs will do everything they can to make this happen. It certainly gave games like Extraterrestrials a huge help.

You can make a stab at maps. Gauddlike put up a good post about this earlier. Also check out the Mapping part of the forums.