Alternate way of winning or losing

Well, Xenopedia says that aliens have thousands of ships in their fleet, right? So let's say some really patient player decides to keep playing instead of completing final mission to destroy mothership or whatever, at some point his ufo count will go to thousands right? Well, yeah, I'm suggesting that there should be easter egg that comes if you shoot down all ufos of alien fleet :P

Alternatively, if war again aliens takes years(or you are just really efficient), aliens decide to retreat. That or they decide "Screw it" and blow up earth with alien version of nukes. Of course, to not make game time based, maybe limit should be something like ten years before getting alternate game over, I think it should be easter egg or something and not something you need to worry about.(Or maybe alternate game over years should be 2012 or 2013 if Xenonauts isn't released this year

Alternatively, if player keeps destroying lots of UFO, just have there be even involving aliens getting reinforcements. Again, just to explain why they still have UFO.

Of course, I doubt anyone plays long enough to destroy that many ufo, but I'd think it be nice easter egg.

Edited by XenoMask

Don't forget the extra thousands of ships on their way. Lots of signals I think is in Alien invasion (awaits comments of no it isn't)

Also there's where they've come from, that may make sitting on earth picking them off a little uncomfortable. As you said reinforcements, or something worse...

A 'stop the alien doomsday device' would be a really great mission.

But in the end the pesky aliens could just launch something really nasty from orbit sooner or later.

Don't forget the extra thousands of ships on their way. Lots of signals I think is in Alien invasion (awaits comments of no it isn't)

That's acctually an evil alien race that is hunting the guys attacking us. Our assailants are refugees that just want a new home, but first thing we humans did when we saw a large refugee vessel enter our radarscreen was to send nukes at it. Now they are desperately trying to establish a beachhead to get everyone down into the safty of our oxygenated atmosphere which is toxic to their pursuers.

:P

Actually, I hadn't ruled that out as a possible origin. Desperate alien race fleeing something worse in another galaxy. Their home world has been destroyed and they now want ours. The ships that are on the way are what remains of their population.

Of course we sent nukes. What else would a civilised society do? The only reason you wouldn't is if you were scared or something.

Nukes. Civilisation's calling card...

I got another proposal: If casualty rate gets higher than population of region during time Xenonaut is set in, have it be in game as alternate way of losing your funding(by having literally everyone in country being dead leading it to being ghost country :P ) along side with alien infiltrators taking control of the country.

I got another proposal: If casualty rate gets higher than population of region during time Xenonaut is set in, have it be in game as alternate way of losing your funding ...

I think they would stop funding the Xenonauts long before the majority of their population is dead, I can't imagine any nation being so stubborn as to actually fight to the last man, not when some kind of peace treaty / non-aggression pact is on the table. Sure they know they can't really trust the aliens, but when your citizenry is in a full panic because there's UFOs buzzing around shooting everything that moves, you either do anything to stop the carnage or your citizens find someone who will.

Depending on the nation, it could take as little as 1% of the population being killed to destabilize their government. That's actually a huge amount of people, and would represent a true catastrophe.

Hmm, yeah, that was kind of silly considering that aliens never rebuilt their buildings even if you never did anything. I mean, after destroying their building mushroom factory thing and their ship mushroom factory, wouldn't they be already defeated? Is there anything they could have done with only their portal building?

And yeah, is was also silly that you could have had missions in buildings that were destroyed before they even got rebuilt.

Aliens do not have a fleet, they have manufacturing facilities and are constantly making new ones. Later on in the game you make new incursions almost impossible for them and your just passing time until the final battle.

Aliens do not have a fleet, they have manufacturing facilities and are constantly making new ones. Later on in the game you make new incursions almost impossible for them and your just passing time until the final battle.

Uhm. what are you talking about here? X-com, Apocalypse, XCOM, Xenonauts or alien enthusiasts theories about real life aliens?

Was talking about this game and the previous post.
No, you most definately weren't talking about Xenonauts. Your statement were presented as factual and it doesn't fit in with the story in Xenonauts.

Xenomask was talking about X-com Apocalypse as far as I can tell.

One: The game says there is a fleet.(Looks at Targe)

Two: Chris has stated once in an old post that the entire point of the final mission is to beat the impossible odds. The whole campaign is a race against time. The final UFO will be much tougher than the most powerful reverse engineered interceptor.You could bring one down , bout two or three at the same time would be literally impossible. So you can't "shoot down all the UFOs".

You'll get overwhelmed if you take too long(or intercept alien activity too poorly).

Edited by GoodGuyEddy

So you can't "shoot down all the UFOs".

Hmmm. That just leaves immobilising their entire fleet because they've linked up their whole computer system with our Sputnik satellite array.

No, that would be stupid :)

is to beat the impossible odds

Yikes! that sound ominous.

I think he was referring to Apocalypse as that one does have factories. Hes replying to guy who said he beat alien fleet and destroyed buldings by blowing them up. And yeah, hes technically wrong in that sense that aliens in Apocalypse do have fleet even if they just keep building more ships.

Hmmm. That just leaves immobilising their entire fleet because they've linked up their whole computer system with our Sputnik satellite array.

Suddenly I starting thinking about ID4... Never a good sign.

independence_day_powerbook_5300_1.jpg

Anyway, a fun alternate Win/Loss idea would be to nuke the earth. If we can't have it, neither can they!

independence_day_powerbook_5300_1.jpg

independence_day_powerbook_5300_1.jpg.2b

Alternate way of winning would mean something different than the final mission but what I'd like to see is "winning-progresion" and by that I mean a linked chain of missions that lead to victory.

1. Shoot down alien mothership (not a ground mission obviously, but more a test of your interceptors)

2. Ground combat in downed mothership (possibly involving capturing alien general)

3. Final research "mission" - either to interrogate the general or in case we killed him decrypting alien computers.

4. Final research once completed would give us a way to win the game.

No. 4 could be variable - destroy alien headquarters/kill alien leaders/manufacture a human spaceship/build planetary cannon to shoot down alien craft in orbit/....

This idea was inspired by fact that if we have one final mission it will be just predictable. You will always know, even at the start of the game that you have to do that final ground mission to win. Adding more objectives could be interesting.

How does it sound?

Alternate way of winning would mean something different than the final mission but what I'd like to see is "winning-progresion" and by that I mean a linked chain of missions that lead to victory.

1. Shoot down alien mothership (not a ground mission obviously, but more a test of your interceptors)

2. Ground combat in downed mothership (possibly involving capturing alien general)

3. Final research "mission" - either to interrogate the general or in case we killed him decrypting alien computers.

4. Final research once completed would give us a way to win the game.

No. 4 could be variable - destroy alien headquarters/kill alien leaders/manufacture a human spaceship/build planetary cannon to shoot down alien craft in orbit/....

This idea was inspired by fact that if we have one final mission it will be just predictable. You will always know, even at the start of the game that you have to do that final ground mission to win. Adding more objectives could be interesting.

How does it sound?

I don't know why, but for some reason that reminds me of one of features dummied out of Apocalypse. I mean, one of them was research way "One way to win" with picture of that alien building growing thing, so people have guessed that originally there was another way to win by research.

But yeah, would be cool.

Nobody has discussed alternate way of losing though, I guess people might find that too hard or something?

Edited by XenoMask

Nobody has discussed alternate way of losing though, I guess people might find that too hard or something?

There's 3 ways to lose right?

1) Lose by economically beeing in the red 2 months in a row. (not able to pay expenses)

2) Lose over X support from funding nations.

3) have all your base are belong to aliens.

Err.. I meant 3) Lose all your bases to alien assults.

Technically there is a 4th way: takeing too long will get you overrun and most likely result in 3)

I think this pretty much covers it...

What would you like as another way to lose? Bobytrap a research topic in such a way walkthroughs will read "Do not research this. You will lose the game if you do"

Completeing the final mission in an incorrect way?

The possibility to attack governments and nuke countries yourself? (sort of roleplaying that you got infiltrated and taken over by aliens)

There's 3 ways to lose right?

1) Lose by economically beeing in the red 2 months in a row. (not able to pay expenses)

2) Lose over X support from funding nations.

3) have all your base are belong to aliens.

Err.. I meant 3) Lose all your bases to alien assults.

Technically there is a 4th way: takeing too long will get you overrun and most likely result in 3)

I think this pretty much covers it...

What would you like as another way to lose? Bobytrap a research topic in such a way walkthroughs will read "Do not research this. You will lose the game if you do"

Completeing the final mission in an incorrect way?

The possibility to attack governments and nuke countries yourself? (sort of roleplaying that you got infiltrated and taken over by aliens)

Well, ok, if you say so ._. I was thinking of some kind of special losing condition, but ok.

Well, I hope in this one losing final mission gets you different game over message than normal one :P

Could you elaborate? What kind of special losing condition were you thinking of? I'm haveing trouble comming up with one. That's why I asked those questions...

Well, like some kind of alien planet destroying bomb mission? Or aliens getting reinforcements so large that they can't be defeated ending in game over? Or war taking years so aliens decide to screw it and bombard earth from orbit?