[V10.1 - Geoscape] Terror Mission in ChristChurch is too far away

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature by design.

I have two bases, one in Northern Africa and a second in USA, and a terror mission starts in ChristChurch.

ChristChurch.jpg

No matter how I try, I cannot arrive in New Zealand with a Chinhook. Even from my nearest base (USA), the Chinhook goes back to the base in the middle of the Pacific.

It's not a time problem. I just do not have enough fuel to get to New Zealand. I do not know if this is a bug or not. In X-Com terror mission sites could always be reached.

I think that the Xenonauts engine should spawn terror missions not too far away from the bases, so that it is possible to reach them with a Chinhook with 100% fuel.

See the screenshots below:

FullyFueled.jpg

In the previous screenshot the target site name is also clipped. Christchurch is too long to fit in the textbox.

ChinookLowOnFuel.jpg

Here is also the save file.

I used an external free file hosting service to post the file. I've never used it before, so I do not know if it works.

ChristChurch.jpg

FullyFueled.jpg

ChinookLowOnFuel.jpg

ChristChurch.thumb.jpg.178accf747ce2606f

FullyFueled.thumb.jpg.6a335246e644e28a35

ChinookLowOnFuel.thumb.jpg.0764c296e9eea

It's one of the largest cities in New Zealand. But essentially you need more bases if you want to be able to defend the whole world. The aliens aren't just going to send their UFOs into the areas you have defended. The Chinook has a slightly enhanced range in the new build but without a base in south asia you shouldn't have any chance of being able to defend Australasia.

@Gorlom - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman,_Turkey

I'm not suggesting that it must be easy to reach terror sites.

I liked the way it worked in the first XCOM. Sometimes I had to rush to the terror site, often interrupting what I was doing. Sometimes the time window available to get to a terror site location was more or less around one hour. Sometimes if I waited just a little longer before sending a dropship to the site, the terror site simply disappeared, and a big penalty was added.

I never had a situation where I could not get to the terror site due to its distance.

On another side, I wasn't even sure this was a bug (as I wrote in the first post of the thread).

I mean, Xenonauts is a different game, so different rules apply.

I think that in the first months of the invasione it is simply not possible to cover all the world, so these situations can and will happen.

I think it makes the game a bit stronger... there are things beyond your control that will slip through the cracks, and finally getting that coverage will be sweeter. It can also emphasize scavenging manufacturing mats to get cash for buildings vs sitting back and upgrading gear/etc at your convenience.

That is a pretty forlorn screenshot though.

There is also the town made famous by Jackass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mianus

I think theres a few funny ones in scandinavia as well but that's in scandinavian languages and I don't recall what they are atm.

I think there is one named hell or something (dunno if that one is in English) which is very funny when it and the sign is covered in snow in the winter. At least if you consider the phrase "when hell freezes over" or "snowballs chance in hell".

Found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Norway (I particularly like the shop sign in the article)

And apparantly there are a few in the US as well.

Edited by Gorlom

But, the idea is that not being able to reache everywhere forces you to base build. In my experience of XN, it does so. It was one of those "Oh" moments when it happened, but now I know I can't get everywhere, I'm thinking more about other base locations etc.

Besides, if your current Chinook could get everywhere, what would it's advanced counterpart further down the research tree do?

besides better armour, more speed and tackling the aliens in their own base, I mean :-)

But, the idea is that not being able to reache everywhere forces you to base build. In my experience of XN, it does so. It was one of those "Oh" moments when it happened, but now I know I can't get everywhere, I'm thinking more about other base locations etc.

Besides, if your current Chinook could get everywhere, what would it's advanced counterpart further down the research tree do?

besides better armour, more speed and tackling the aliens in their own base, I mean :-)

walk the dog and make a superb caffè latte. It also makes a great wedding chapel or so I hear.