Loss of Dropship After Failed Mission

I recently ended up in a mission with a single soldier who for some reason was not armed. After running around hoping to find a dead AI solider with a weapon (and finding none) I was eventually panicked and then killed.

Anyway, the dropship was lost as a result and I had to buy a new one.

Does anyone else think that the loss of the team is punishment enough and the dropship should still fly back to base?

Unless of course the Xenonauts ARE the pilots but I imagined this was not the case..?

If the ground team are killed then I always assumed the aliens just over ran the dropship as well.

If the dropship being shot down now gives a chance of the crew surviving then maybe when the crew gets killed the dropship should have a chance to survive.

I like having to fight my way back to the dropship. Something I've just had to do actually.

Sure, it smarts, but not as much as losing all the soldiers you've trained up and their equipment.

I alwasy thought that 2 of the soldiers were in the pilot seats up until landing. Likewise that the aliens blew it up if all of your troops were killed.