[V1.5 ground combat] Glass provide cover only when broken

It's not an engine limitation so much as a design limitation with the way the game's cover system is structured. Either windows can offer no cover until broken (the first shot always hits the window and passes through it, shattering it) or the shot hits the window and destroys it but stops as it does so. So it's a choice between windows offering no cover or bullets not being able to penetrate unbroken windows.

Neither works that well, but by the time we discovered the issue it wasn't really worth rewriting the entire cover system so it can take into account the unique properties of windows.

Sure if you want to get technical, it's a "cover system" limitation...

I tend to lump the "cover system" under the umbrella term "game engine", considering that the "cover system" is part of how xenonauts is hardcoded to work.

If that is technically incorrect, I don't care, everyone knows what I meant.

Feels good to be back on the forums :). I missed everyone.

The game is coming along nicely, I'm glad chris integrated elements of CE into the base game.

Edited by legit1337

My understanding was that it wasn't fixed in X:CE - the windows would offer cover correctly, but that came at the cost of bullets never penetrating windows. Is that not correct? If it is the case then the cure seems worse than the disease to me.

That 'fix' was the one I made ages ago; I'm fairly certain that lluank made it work properly since then.

(IIRC this was in one of the experimental versions of 1.5 but it was removed because it wasn't working properly. I seem to remember suggesting that it might be because the window spectres hadn't been updated to the ones used by XCE as well but I never actually checked it and the revision had been removed from 1.5 since anyway).