[Suggestion] Ammo state carry over missions

zolobolo

I remember this topic being brought up around a year ago but not what the result was.

My question is whether it will be possible to have the ammo state of weapons carry over from mission to mission if the transport does not return to base between missions.

This is somewhat an immersion feature which I think was there in the original but is also something that would put additional penalty on conducting missions right after another which would be nice.

It would also make some more sense to have several clips for soldiers since at the current stance I never needed to have more then one extra clip for each weapon even for lower ammo level weapons. If the feature can only be implemented by removing the current ammo clip for the soldier equipment it would be even better - lore wise they would rearm their weapons between missions if they shot at least once during the last mission thus conducting three missions in a row would become quite difficult even if player is pro

This was probably not brought up a year ago because it actually used to work like that. You'd go on your next mission with the equipment that you had left over. Then, however, the developers fixed some bugs, and as a side effect, the current behaviour appeared.

Honestly, then you'd get people loading up their troops with extra ammo and dropping it in the dropship on their first turn (I do this already with grenades) and then people would report 'items on dropship floor not carried over between missions'. Better to just presume the dropship has a significant supply of ammo on board.

Of course the knock on effect of this should be actually letting people stock the dropship with spare weapons and ammo to let them swap things out during a mission.

Players can do all sorts of stuff that uses unintended game mechanics to gain an advantage. You're not supposed to do the packmule thing, but it's hard to prevent in the game. Of course if your troops reload ammo between missions because your dropship has an ammo supply, you kind of have to wonder why they can't access the ammo supply during the mission.

You're not supposed to do the packmule thing

Exactly my though that is way this thread: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11965-Suggestion-Max-overload-for-transport

The above workaround is very tempting and the problem is that it is a huge gray area - how about I just bring two extra grenades for each soldier and drop them on the way? The rewards are way to tempting to leave a peace of mind if not applied - the only way to ignore it is ignoring this possibility altogether and trying hard not to take advantage of it:)

If this mechanic was working like it should a while ago, there may be a good chance the community edition can bring it back? :)

I saw that other thread. It does not seem worthwhile to me. Ultimately, at some point the player has to decide how he prefers to play. If I add a maximum overload counter, why wouldn't the player then max it out? The line has to be drawn somewhere. If unintended abuse of mechanics is easy to prevent, it should be prevented. But at other times, it's difficult to prevent and only encourages the players who want it to come up with even more creative ways of abusing things. If you really want to overload soldiers to have extra ammo, or to delay completing a mission so that you always get TU gains on soldiers, or if you want to drop weapons at the end of every turn to prevent the danger of mind control/berserk, that's your choice to play the game that way.

Personally, I think reducing inventory size is a much better fix for item spamming. The vanilla inventory size is huge - I don't think I've ever filled it and even if I did I don't know what I'd do with all the stuff my soldiers were carrying. Whereas I've played with an inventory size similar to what Magnum-Nauts used to have (3x3 backpack and smaller belt) and it was more or less perfect for me: enough space for item flexibility but also small enough that I had to make some choices about what things I actually wanted to bring along.

Personally, I think reducing inventory size is a much better fix for item spamming. The vanilla inventory size is huge - I don't think I've ever filled it and even if I did I don't know what I'd do with all the stuff my soldiers were carrying. Whereas I've played with an inventory size similar to what Magnum-Nauts used to have (3x3 backpack and smaller belt) and it was more or less perfect for me: enough space for item flexibility but also small enough that I had to make some choices about what things I actually wanted to bring along.

Wanna share? :)

I was going to release it with my weapons mod I'm working on, but actually I guess I could release it as a stand-alone. The main issue will be pistols: they're massively oversized and with reduced inventory space they're pointless. I've been reducing the size of pistols down to 2x1 as a result - I guess I could package that in with it as well?

The weight, not size, should be the limit.

It would not hurt to have both - both should be a kind of limit but in a different way else one is not relevant. Currently the available space is mostly irrelevant since though there is some TU difference between belt and backpack - it is not much and backpack is pretty much unlimited storage space

Nonetheless I guess this is not something for CE since it would change the vanilla balance instead of patching bugs or delivering new features. I remember seeing some mods and description in the old mods threads about this as well

I can also understand that the overload limit is not a viable topic for CE then but the usage carry over through missions seems something that may be suited for CE.

Usage carry over is a good idea, imo. Provides some additional decisions to be made about tackling multiple missions before heading back to base. Also, if players want to get around it by making a packmule, I say let them. You can get around berserk or mind control as well, and there's nothing the devs can do to stop that.