Being able to carry a shield in your inventory

RobosergTV

Hello. In the earlier version of the game you were able to carry a shield in your inventory (which makes sense, you can do it on your back). It seems now they removed that feature. Is it because of the balance? Was it really that unbalanced? If so, one can just add weight for it, to compensate.

In any case is there a way to be able to carry a shield in your inventory?

And where do can I increase its weight?

Thanks in advance :D

Edited by RobosergTV

I found the corresponding values, problem is, there are 3 values being 6/3/6, see:

709fee56e7.png

So I have 6/3/6, two of them is the size, but what is the other? Also what does 80 stand for?

As for the balancing issue, why GH just didnt increase the weight of the shield so that you dont carry multiple shields? I dont need multiple shields, I just want to carry a shotgun with it.

Also the 6 shields you are saying, those are ONLY in the Xenophobia Mod right? Is there a version for the vanilla?

709fee56e7.png

709fee56e7.png.05ac0a531c716b81fbd536262

First of all, open weapons.xml with Excel or OpenOffice so you can actually read & understand the data. ;)

Screenshot 2014-07-11 23.11.18.png

80 = it's hit points (aka it's clip size)

the first 6 = weight in kg.

the 3 = it's the number of squares wide it is

the last 6 = the number of squares tall it is

Change the last six to 5 and your shield can be carried in inventory, it's like, dark sorcery or something....

Screenshot 2014-07-11 23.11.18.png

577e7d0c564a3_Screenshot2014-07-1123.11.

Thanks for the answer.

If you define the weight and the HP of the shields in the weapons.xml what about weapons_gc.xml? There you can also define the weight and the hp, see:

d68a15c8e6.png

Do I have to change the weight and the hp in both files?

As for the excel - first I dont have, secondly its no hassle for me to edit in notepad++ and lastly the only thing it does is formatting, you dont gain any other benefits, as far as I can see.

d68a15c8e6.png

d68a15c8e6.png.08e09d755df72397c19cae673

Thanks for the answer.

If you define the weight and the HP of the shields in the weapons.xml what about weapons_gc.xml? There you can also define the weight and the hp, see: [ATTACH=CONFIG]4917[/ATTACH]

Do I have to change the weight and the hp in both files?

As for the excel - first I dont have, secondly its no hassle for me to edit in notepad++ and lastly the only thing it does is formatting, you dont gain any other benefits, as far as I can see.

Yes, you must change the values in both files. weapons.xml only controls the item when in the equip screen and when in your base. weapons_gc.xml controls the item when in combat.

If you change one and not the other, bad juju will happen. It's best to make them match so you dont get weirdness.

Nice, changed that out for my game too.

There were a lot of complainta and grumbling about carrying multiple shields, so Chris altered it to the way you see now.

Yeah, that would be a bit cheesy, but can just keep that as a house rule. I'm only gonna use it for if I want to carry a secondary weapon in the backpack, so I can temporarily put the shield in there.

First of all, open weapons.xml with Excel or OpenOffice so you can actually read & understand the data. ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4916[/ATTACH]

80 = it's hit points (aka it's clip size)

the first 6 = weight in kg.

the 3 = it's the number of squares wide it is

the last 6 = the number of squares tall it is

Change the last six to 5 and your shield can be carried in inventory, it's like, dark sorcery or something....

Actually, after messing around with this for quite a bit longer, it turns out that this change was what was causing my game to crash when loading a save (and to completely remove all gear available when creating a new game). Do you know if I need to do anything special when using openoffice for editing the file? When saving it, it popped up the usual warning about there possibly being some tiny format differences between excel and openoffice, which I ignored at first since it has never actually made a difference, but as it turns out doing so breaks the game. Eventually I worked around it by editing the file in textpad instead, but I'd really prefer being able to do it in the format it was intended for if that's possible in any way (other than getting Excel).

Actually, after messing around with this for quite a bit longer, it turns out that this change was what was causing my game to crash when loading a save (and to completely remove all gear available when creating a new game). Do you know if I need to do anything special when using openoffice for editing the file? When saving it, it popped up the usual warning about there possibly being some tiny format differences between excel and openoffice, which I ignored at first since it has never actually made a difference, but as it turns out doing so breaks the game. Eventually I worked around it by editing the file in textpad instead, but I'd really prefer being able to do it in the format it was intended for if that's possible in any way (other than getting Excel).

I would advise trying the alteration and starting an entirely new game and see if the crash still happens. Typically these sort of changes alter the item's data and if any of your soldiers have a shield in their inventory inside of your saved game data, the game doesn't like that sudden change (makes the game think the save is corrupt because the data doesnt match) and doesnt know how to handle it.

I would make a copy of the original file then make a single easy to spot change before saving it in openoffice.

Open up both files and have a look to see what other differences there are beyond the change you made, or use a file comparison program if you are feeling all technical.

It could be something as simple as a small change to the header of the file which you could just copy/paste back over from the original file.

I would advise trying the alteration and starting an entirely new game and see if the crash still happens. Typically these sort of changes alter the item's data and if any of your soldiers have a shield in their inventory inside of your saved game data, the game doesn't like that sudden change (makes the game think the save is corrupt because the data doesnt match) and doesnt know how to handle it.

Like I said, starting a new game completely removes all gear from the equip screen (except for the ammo clips the soldiers already had on them).

After bringing back the backup of the original and editing it in textpad instead it worked fine though.

I would make a copy of the original file then make a single easy to spot change before saving it in openoffice.

Open up both files and have a look to see what other differences there are beyond the change you made, or use a file comparison program if you are feeling all technical.

It could be something as simple as a small change to the header of the file which you could just copy/paste back over from the original file.

Good tip, thanks. Heading out right now an in a bit of a rush, but will try that out later when I get home.

There are indeed some differences as expected, but not something I'm gonna be able to fix easily.

<?xml version="1.0"?><?mso-application progid="Excel.Sheet"?>

has turned into

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><?mso-application progid="Excel.Sheet"?>

to start with, and that I could fix easily enough, but on top of that it completely breaks the formating for the rest of the document as well - the entire file is just one single long row.

I'll just have to do anything editing trough textpad instead it seems.

There were a lot of complainta and grumbling about carrying multiple shields, so Chris altered it to the way you see now.

Well he could just higher the weight of the shield instead of making the shotgun completely useless (nobody is using it above normal)

steave use Notepad++, it has syntax highlighting which makes it easy to edit.