How much Anti-Air do I need to protect a base?

I have three bases, with only one containing troops and a dropship. The others just have radars, interceptors, and some AA. They haven't been attacked yet, but I was wondering how much AA and of which variety (missile, laser, plasma) do I need to be sure the base doesn't get attacked. Is it cheaper than keeping a crew in the base?

None, your aircraft is enough AA you need. 3 Condors and 2 Foxtrots in early-mid game is all you ever need per base. When reaching Corsairs you can swap either all condors all 1 condor for Corsairs and when you have Marauders you swap everything for them. You could make 1 space for Fury just for fun. 2 Marauders with top tech will obliterate everything.

Edited by silencer

I have three bases, with only one containing troops and a dropship. The others just have radars, interceptors, and some AA. They haven't been attacked yet, but I was wondering how much AA and of which variety (missile, laser, plasma) do I need to be sure the base doesn't get attacked. Is it cheaper than keeping a crew in the base?

5 missile defenses used to get the job done (they auto upgrade, so there's no need /chance for variety). But...I read that they've become more powerful after a recent patch, so I'm not so sure if that many are needed.

so I'm not so sure if that many are needed.

In my base I have 6 lasers defenses (the fear of losing the base justified their cost). Landingship attacked. First laser battery missed. The second one obliterated the landingship into pieces. Probably 4 laser batteries should be enough.

I can't help but dream how cool it would be, if instead of getting a summary after everything is finished, to have something more dramatic. I remember in the first XCOM: "Laser battery... fired... (wait a few secs) missed!", and so on.

and that's a problem... base defense should always have a chance happening. Perhaps a kind of stealth landing ship should exist for the Aliens.

It could only happen if during the wave there will be a base attack spawn and you're interceptors are too far away.

None, your aircraft is enough AA you need. 3 Condors and 2 Foxtrots in early-mid game is all you ever need per base. When reaching Corsairs you can swap either all condors all 1 condor for Corsairs and when you have Marauders you swap everything for them. You could make 1 space for Fury just for fun. 2 Marauders with top tech will obliterate everything.

Many times a lot of UFOs spawn at the same time, my aircraft could well be fighting a UFO near the edge of my coverage while another goes over my base. Or my aircraft could be in the base refuelling. How would you deal with that?

I think I'll try 4 defense buildings.

Many times a lot of UFOs spawn at the same time, my aircraft could well be fighting a UFO near the edge of my coverage while another goes over my base. Or my aircraft could be in the base refuelling. How would you deal with that?

I think I'll try 4 defense buildings.

Personally I wait until an hour or so after a wave spawns before launching interceptors frequently. I also prioritize anything near a base for destruction.