Any high level advantage?

As you can see, I have placed my sniper on the second floor in the warehouse, overseeing the entrance of the UFO.

111_zps7c883245.jpg

However I am disappointed the view of my sniper is still blocked:

222_zps7852e28b.jpg

I want to know, if there is any advantages in placing my troops on a higher ground?

The line of fire from higher levels is very buggy. So there is limited advantage in terms of being able to shoot over obstacles. However, when you do have line of sight, you get an accuracy bonus that increases with height, so there is definitely an advantage.

In those screenshots, you could cover the door of the UFO, but the hedge is in the way - the hedge is removable, leaving a dirt mound that is impassable. If you nade or c4 the hedge, your sniper would be able to fire at the door/seb. That hedge is effectively one prop (destructible hedge) on top of another one (indestructible dirt mound). Without blowing it up, it's too tall and blocks the LOS.

Maybe the Community edition will be able to resolve this, but for now, I use high ground to scout the map so that I can manouver with a bit more confidence. Saves the time of stacking up on a hedge corner only to find its empty after two turns of prep.