armor

It says armor will degrade, is this a factor in the field and do I have to repair it back at the base, or does is there some sort of miracle healing while I am in the base?
Miracle healing. Or you can find the little hammers that are laying around and repair it yourself. If you have a high armorer rating you can even fix magic armor. :D Edited by StellarRat

When armor takes a hit, it compares the damage it received to its armor value. If the damage value is higher than the armour value, the difference goes through the armor and damages the soldier. Otherwise, the game shows a "resisted" tag. All the damage the armor has absorbed is multiplied by a certain (i think its 25, but you can find it in the game xmls) % value and then subtracted from the armor value. So when a new shot hits, it will be compared to this new reduced armor value. As you may have noticed the game handles a lot of menial tasks for you - so no, you won't have to order your engineers to make additional armors to replace the damaged ones.

Err, i never liked that feature to begin with. If there is a switch for it, i would be glad to pull it.

On the other hand, you do have a point and overall it would be better to have some consumables constantly draining resources. When i played v21.6 - i got till carriers and stopped as psionics was overpowered in extreme. Still my engineers were mostly busy with churning out aircraft - usually 3 Foxtrots +1 Corsair per base and in the lategame they slowly replaced everything with Marauders. In between the base expansions i had them make equpment for the ground team - 2x pistols, snipers, MGs and 3x carbines and rifles + 10 Sentinels and 2 Predators lategame or just 12 Wolfs, they just don't have anything to do. the question is of course are they even supposed to be busy?

You can remove armour degradation by going into config.xml and changing 25 to 0. In the end, it's mostly there so that if you rushed vehicles or wolf armour, your troops can't wade through the entire battle as invincible tanks. The only aliens that even have an armour score are androns and drones.

Hell, I really think the aliens should just get scaling armour with a smaller boost to HP. The mitigation on precision rifles and LMGs is sort of worthless when you're not fighting elite androns or heavy drones and having decent weapons tech means you always kill the alien in one or two hits anyways.

When armor takes a hit, it compares the damage it received to its armor value. If the damage value is higher than the armour value, the difference goes through the armor and damages the soldier. Otherwise, the game shows a "resisted" tag. All the damage the armor has absorbed is multiplied by a certain (i think its 25, but you can find it in the game xmls) % value and then subtracted from the armor value. So when a new shot hits, it will be compared to this new reduced armor value. As you may have noticed the game handles a lot of menial tasks for you - so no, you won't have to order your engineers to make additional armors to replace the damaged ones.

I'll be grateful for further explanation. I don't understand how the numbers work here. If the damage is 50 and the armour value is 100. The shot is fully absorbed but wouldn't the armour value be completely gone if it's 50 * 25?