Is first plasma rifle autosell a bug?

kribu

I tried starting three games of Xenonauts, and AFAICT it seems that in 9.0 starting plasma rifle research is impossible.

Seems to me that every time I complete a mission the game decides that I already have a plasma rifle, sells them all.

Also the game claims in the "end mission" screen that plasma pistol has been sent to research even after the research for it has been completed.

Am I missing something? It occured to me that there might be some prerequisites I need to meet before being able to get plasma rifle research and the game might be just selling them before they are met.

Edit: I realized my wording might be confusing. Clarification: I don't get a plasma rifle, even not from the first mission ever to have one in it.

to research plasma rifle you first have to research plasma pistol.

if you dont get the option for rifle after you get pistol researched make sure you have gotten a rifle in a ground battle.

if you still dont get the rifle research option you may need to ad it to the bug list.

in this build v9 1 pistol and 1 rifle are auto sent to research every battle if they are dropped by aliens.

Edited by NoIdidnt

to research plasma rifle you first have to research plasma pistol.

This was obvious to me - from Xcom:EU (Plasma pistol -> rifle -> Heavy Plasma), Xcom:TFTD (Sonic pistol -> rifle -> cannon).

in this build v9 1 pistol and 1 rifle are auto sent to research every battle if they are dropped by aliens.

Yea so I have to report this as a bug. Even the first occurence of it ever gets autosold and all subsequent ones.

mission.jpg

Picture showing that mission gives me plasma rifle.

research.jpg

Picture showing that I can't research plasma rifle.

xenopedia.jpg

Picture showing I have researched plasma pistol.

Reported this as a bug, seems to be saving/loading related.

mission.jpg

research.jpg

xenopedia.jpg

mission.jpg.88a99430bb47958c012ebc5346d7

research.thumb.jpg.e6dd59510da80b2f6cec0

xenopedia.thumb.jpg.83c926375bec99bfb014

Edited by kribu

I have the same problem but mine starts with laser weapons and wolf armor.

ive played through many new game starts and as yet have never been able to get laser and wolf options other than by doing this:

started a new game and f.forwarded till first ufo battle, crash landed scout, aliens drop both pistol and rifle.

returned to base and saved game before any research was started.

then started research and f. forwarded time without doing anything else, just kept research updated and hire scientists as possible [was made easier by use of 'M' button] went straight through all researches including laser weapons and wolf armor and the ability to manufacture both.

then went back and reloaded that same save and actually played the game with air combat and ground battles but without any saves at all. research tree ended just before laser weapons and wolf armor. researched everything i could but nothing else was given as option, played that one up to mid august then had a CTD.

started that save again and played thru to mid august again with saves and got the same result as with no saves at all.

since that time i have uninstalled and removed all files and reinstalled but havnt gotten around to playing again,just been lurking around the forums 24/7. lol :)

AD you just told him 2 posts earlier that he gets to keep one despite what the picture says. Stop beeing so nitpicky =P

I told him he should get to keep one, but the game isn't displaying it

Then he put up a screenshot where it clearly showed that he was not keeping the plasma rifle, so kinda proves my point a bit =p

I don't see how it makes your point since the rest of the game was behaveing as if he didn't have the weapon (because of save/load bug most likely). Which made your post saying that he didn't get the rifle according to the screenshot confusing and seem contradictive to what you previously stated. It looked to me that a missunderstanding was imminent.

Maybe I missed something? =S

It works differently in Xenonauts.

Your troops can't use the alien weapons.

You may be able to pick them up from the ground in a mission and fire them but the accuracy will be greatly reduced.

Instead you produce your own working versions of those weapons by studying them.

You only need one for that so the rest are sold off.

The process is automated because they have no purpose at all.

I too have this problem. I just bought the game yesterday, then played my first ground combat mission. After it was done, I saw that it kept a plasma pistol, but auto-sold the plasma rifle and ammo. I'm not sure why this is happening. This was my first mission, on my first game. According to what you people say, it should have kept both pistol and rifle.

I too have this problem. I just bought the game yesterday, then played my first ground combat mission. After it was done, I saw that it kept a plasma pistol, but auto-sold the plasma rifle and ammo. I'm not sure why this is happening. This was my first mission, on my first game. According to what you people say, it should have kept both pistol and rifle.

From what I understand you can't research plasma rifle until after you research plasma pistol. So it will sell the rifle as it is unusable. Perhaps once you research plasma pistol it will keep the next rifle?

Nononononoono. It's a display bug. It will display that it sells it despite keeping one (at least it should keep one). We think this happens when you find a plasma pistol for the first time at the same time as a plasma rifle for the first time. Although I don't know for sure.

There is also a research tree bug that is related to saveing and loading. I'm not 100% sure we have worked that one out, it seems more complex then what we at first thought. But the official workaround is to not save/load while any research is in progress.

Playing a fresh game and not engageing any ufos (after the first one so you get the stuff you need for research, make sure both pistol and rifle shows up somewhere on the end mission screen) should allow you to research everything currently available every time.

PS. mind you this is an alpha we are trying to work out the buggs. dont expect a fully playable game this early. DS.

Edited by Gorlom

started a new game and f.forwarded till first ufo battle, crash landed scout, aliens drop both pistol and rifle.

this ground battle had both pistol and rifle but it said it sold the rifle and kept the pistol, yet from this single ground battle i was able to research both the pistol and rifle. so this was a display bug.