(New version) XNT Into Darkness V5.0 - "PlatinumDragon" (New Game Universe Mod)

THEON'S INSTITUTE of BADASS FLYING

Alright nuggets, today we are going to cover the basics. That means familiarazing yourself with the fine machines we are gonna be flying.

f17.jpg

mig.jpg

su.jpg

apollo.jpg

Enough Theory, it's time for Theony:

[video=youtube;CviN-tylc64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CviN-tylc64

As you see we can point out some fair lessons from this simulation:

- Do not attemp to fight head on whilst piloting a Su. You relly on your long term damage, try to position yourself behind the enemy craft.

- Use Maneuvers. Su is the sturdiest aircraft we poses, even so it offers only basic protection against enemy plasma technology.

- When advancing enemy fighters send in F17s, Su is not desinged to fight interceptors.

- Even so, an experienced pilot will be able to score a kill if he doesn't make too many blunders.

Class dismissed. See you back tomorrow.

f17.jpg

mig.jpg

su.jpg

apollo.jpg

f17.thumb.jpg.74777ee94858fff18b3138b3c6

mig.thumb.jpg.ca6a1d6594d24e41bf05adf281

su.thumb.jpg.de4771ed21b1e6c9ed35b0cd0b6

apollo.thumb.jpg.4dc2b52a2285c4a4e7d41ea

Edited by Theon Greyjoy

Hello there ! Brand new Xenonauts user. I downloaded your mod, put it into assets. Oh and I did overwrite the 4.0 while doing so. Started a new game for the mod to take effect, and I have this strange bug: all my shotgunners are unable to fire their weapons (the crossair does not appear on enemies). When I left clic the weapon the crosshair's there, but greyed and always miss, even if it says 90% hit chance.

Any ideas or suggestions ? And thanks for the mod, looking forward to enjoying it !

Hello there ! Brand new Xenonauts user. I downloaded your mod, put it into assets. Oh and I did overwrite the 4.0 while doing so

Uninstall Xenonauts,clean all leftovers .Do clean install of Xenonauts 1.05HF then apply XNT:ID v5 and other optional addons if you use them (Random Maps,Fire in the Hole,Music Pack).

Edit: Don't worry about saves of your new game that you started with V5,you won't lose them.

Edited by Sentelin

Hello there ! Brand new Xenonauts user. I downloaded your mod, put it into assets. Oh and I did overwrite the 4.0 while doing so. Started a new game for the mod to take effect, and I have this strange bug: all my shotgunners are unable to fire their weapons (the crossair does not appear on enemies). When I left clic the weapon the crosshair's there, but greyed and always miss, even if it says 90% hit chance.

Any ideas or suggestions ? And thanks for the mod, looking forward to enjoying it !

Hello and welcome!

Which build did you have? Steam or desura?

Thanks for the answer Sentelin !

TacDragon: I run the 1.05 from Steam... I'll try the solution above and see if it works !

/edit: oh and is the mod compatible with oppressive UI 1.05 ? Also, for one of the aircraft, there is no description, only written "filler", is that normal or did I do something wrong ?

Edited by Krakefer_CH

Thanks for the answer Sentelin !

TacDragon: I run the 1.05 from Steam... I'll try the solution above and see if it works !

/edit: oh and is the mod compatible with oppressive UI 1.05 ?

Right now the mod is not compatible with Oppressive UI, tis mod content too much files.

We can ask for other modders for integration, remember that this mod is made for you, the players and any suggestion or feedback is completely welcome.

Yay, it now works flawelessly ! :D I think I was using oppressive UI at the time. I guess I got the install working ! Last question: after the interceptor research, I get an aircraft with only "filler" in the description, is that all right ? Thanks again !

Oh and by the way, got my squad slaughtered on the first sortie by aliens with some kind of small launcher (stun bombs) a la Xcom 1 from Microprose. I assume the blue numbers popping when taking damage are stamina points ?!

IAlso you were very unlucky because there is rather small chance of Omega spawning in Scout (at least it should be like that if it isn't then something might not work as it should.Let us know if you encounter Omega and Eggs often).

Ehm, than I seem to be unlucky too. 3rd mission, scout ufo and a ugly reaper omega.

Combat is still ongoing, reallife came in the way. ;)

So how do you all like the new sounds for the ballistic weapons?

yeah, but the sniper rifle sound is a bolt action gun, you can hear the manual reload, the ingame weapon is a semi-automatic weapon. Appart from that the sounds are flatout better so far.

THE VIPERS!!! THE BULLETS DO NOTHING!!!!

how do we deal with these guys? standard issue frags?

They are frightening as hell. MGs doesn´t do too much, rifles are near useless. Sniper Rifle do a good amount of damage and grenades and explosives are the way to go I think atm.

I will have the opportunity to test a rocket launcher on them later, I will tell you the result. Its my 3rd groundcombat in that game, so I am not sure that is doable and I play only on normal. :)

Edited by Gray Carlyle

I have some strange door-bug.

Doors.jpg

As you can see I have "Fire in the hole" active, so I don´t know who´s causing the trouble. I installed it like it is shown in your install guide. v4.2 worked flawlessly with FiH.

Edit: So, my 3rd combat mission on normal against a scout ufo with this huge monstrosity is finally over. What a slaughter, but a picture says more than thousand words:

Reaper Alpha.jpg

I knew I should have researched the hi-speed interceptor first... xD

Corvette 18.09.79.jpg

Doors.jpg

Reaper Alpha.jpg

Corvette 18.09.79.jpg

Doors.jpg.fe84c3e8d78d87472a1dbfe2c51042

577e7cf706a6d_ReaperAlpha.thumb.jpg.e02f

577e7cf708c1c_Corvette18.09.79.jpg.d473c

Edited by Gray Carlyle

@Krakefer_CH, @ gunnyfreak,

Hello and thank you for your feedback!

First of all I will expose some of the features of this mod

- You need to forget all that you learn playing Vanilla version :D

- Aliens are superior, in technology, artifacts and characteristics

- At the start of the game focus your effort in plan an strategy, dont rush mindless against crashsites like vanilla version

- This mod is planned to be a real CHALLENGE, you have more resourses but you need to think how to use it wisely.

- The first ground combat missions is to know your enemy, take artifacts and develop new equipment.

- Try to develop Jackal Armor (Alien Plasma Rifle, Alien Plasma Pistol and Alien Alloys), this armor improve a lot the resistance of your soldiers in ground combat.

- Dealing Vipers is a teamwork, they are afraid of reaction fire, try to retreat and search for better position. ANY ballistic weapon has unique role in combat, try to destroy vipers armor or soft them with explosives.

- Deal with Gargols, this units has HUGE resistance and regeneration, they dont look for cover of positions, you'll learn how to deal with them (I'll upload some video demos to How to Play)

- Vortex weapon deal non lethal damage, try recover your stunned soldiers in the ground with the MEDIPACK!.

Don't try to get success in your first run, try 3 different starts to learn about the elements of the game.

Did you want to take the challenge?

@Gray Carlyle

Did you mean the door port holes? This is not a bug, this is a feature of the mod, we include this to improve internal UFO combat experience. Aliens react better and the places along the alien Ship become crazy! :D

Little Note: BE CAREFUL with Scouts, encounters there could be very hard. Always consider RETREAT as an option.

If you need any other help, please write here for more information!

Alright, the alien eggs shooting what I presume to be facehuggers, are they supposed to only knock out units? Or what? I lost three during a UFO breach due to thinking I could just shotgun the eggs, but after the mission, all three of them where fine with but a day or two of recovery. I did finish the mission just after they got hit though, just two turns I believe.

All this "creepers" thing was somehow Aliens allusion, and yes - "facehugger" parsite from "egg" by design just disable soldiers without killing them.

Eggs was more a joke and surprise thing to accompany "queen".

I don't know is darkness guys made any changes in it.

All this "creepers" thing was somehow Aliens allusion, and yes - "facehugger" parsite from "egg" by design just disable soldiers without killing them.

Eggs was more a joke and surprise thing to accompany "queen".

I don't know is darkness guys made any changes in it.

We did :P Beside what you said an alien also hatches from those eggs.

- Try to develop Jackal Armor (Alien Plasma Rifle, Alien Plasma Pistol and Alien Alloys)

I looked, after a miserable defeat in the first game of 4.2, in the researches.xml to roughly know which I should research next time. *whistle*

- Dealing Vipers is a teamwork, they are afraid of reaction fire, try to retreat and search for better position. ANY ballistic weapon has unique role in combat, try to destroy vipers armor or soft them with explosives.

Yeah, I replayed the gc mission from my above post, and managed to resolve the mission without casualties. Proper preparations help alot fighting these monsters...and Luck of course. The viper was next to a building as the rocket crushed the housetop and killed that thing. i didn´t know that the top of a building can crumble through damage. Is this from the mod or vanilla

- Vortex weapon deal non lethal damage, try recover your stunned soldiers in the ground with the MEDIPACK!.

I didn´t know that either.

Did you mean the door port holes? This is not a bug, this is a feature of the mod, we include this to improve internal UFO combat experience.

Ok, I thought it was some sort of weird bug. I must read the changelog again...:D

Anyway, any comments on the ufo screenie I edited into my last post? That is a nasty surprise from Dynamic UFO spawns, I guess?

"try to destroy vipers armor or soft them with explosives."

wait, that works? Meaning if we grenade them then assault rifle to face that would do more damage?

gotta try that

Yeah, but more like 5x grenade, 3x AR burstfire, 3x MG burstfire and 2x sniper hits, before ballistics get notibly better.

Edited by Gray Carlyle

only other mod i was using was the one where it puts better portraits on the soldiers.

Also I guess i am using the experimental branch - that might have something to do with it :/

Are you absolutely sure you are playing with the packs TD uploaded last time ?Because I am 3-4 hours in-game without single crash.If you do,do you use Skitso UI ?If so remove it because it can cause crashes here and there if used with this mod.
Edited by peirceg

Also, for one of the aircraft, there is no description, only written "filler", is that normal or did I do something wrong ?

Yes, ty. Aircraft-xenopedia entries have to be added. I've spent all my time on putting aircrafts together, making them feel unique and useful and then tons of time for testing and balancing. So I didn't have that much time for lore (aircrafts and aircraft weapons)

For now you can read the forum tips I give on flying (page 6 of this forum). I'll add some more covering the topic of missiles and cannons tonight (european time).

only other mod i was using was the one where it puts better portraits on the soldiers.

If you overwrote XNT gameconfig.xml with the one from the portraits mod then that might be the cause of crashes.

Edited by Theon Greyjoy

2 things:

I entered a mission and, after a turn of positioning, the mission ended and I got no money (apparently no enemy spawned).

after one mission I unlocked alien interrogation for some reason, I had no stun batons, didn't take alien biology, and didn't capture anyone. (maybe alien vortex accidentally disabled another alien?)