[V1.01] Item sale value

Currently funding from nations is the main source of income. However selling salvaged or manufactured items was always an important factor in the OG and I feel it's lacking in Xenonauts. For me, the lack of income from items is also undermining the immersion. For example:

Manufacturing a laser rifle costs 40K excluding resources and overhead. It currently sells for 20K. Considering it's based on alien tech and the world is at war, it should at the very very least be profitable to manufacture and sell..

The point, though, is that it wasn't an 'alternative' way to play the game but 'the best'. Which, implicitly, restricts choice just as much.

That said, I'm not sure it wouldn't work for Xenonauts as it's currently set up. Most items require alloys/alenium to build, so if you want to make items for profit it's costing you something quite important. Futhermore, losing the game is tied to funding nations much more closely than in the OG, which means you can't ignore them. So I'm not sure that manufacturing items for a modest profit would too terrible (the main items to be careful with are the Hunter and Foxtrot, since both are very quick to build and cost no additional resources)

Even if it was the best way to play the OG, it was not the only way. As long as you can survive/win playing in a different manner you are not restricted. You are only restricted when manufacturing and selling items is the only way to win.

I agree that the limited availability of resources would keep this "exploit" in check.

You're also restricted when the difficulty of the game has to be balanced around the player playing the game optimally, thereby making the game designers assume that people are going to abuse the sale of manufactured items....consequently making the game much harder for people who do not do it.