[REQUEST] Lab/Workshop Events

Okim

Some way to represent all the hazzards of dealing with alien and prototype technology.

Lab incidents should kill some people and force the lab to shut down for some time. Some of the research projects should get a random set back. It can also destroy one of the items being researched forcing you to hunt that one once again

Workshop incidents should be the same. It can also destroy some of the materials used in production.

On the other hand - those quite nasty events could be balanced by adding some breakthroughs (geting a fixed amount of research points or some bonus to research speed). With workshop a good event can result in saving some of the materials, increasing speed of production for a while or just getting some fixed bonus to currently produced item.

To further expand this idea other 'screens' can also get some events:

Hangars/garrages can sustain some damage from badly placed missile or fire or any other related bad thingy. Vehicles could just get malfunctioning. Planes getting unscheduled maintainance works etc. As a good event you can get a faster repair/reload/refuel speed of currently attended vehicle/plane or getting an instant repair.

Soldier\personel screen could have some medical/training related moments. For example a soldier suddenly getting thick and being transfered to medcenter for a day or two. Or some of the soldiers losing points due to not participating in missions (those who sit at base doing nothing). Good event could give us some minor random skill improvement, getting healed faster or even promotions.

This is a huge thing to do and will probably fit Cris`s idea of 'thermometer' rather than a simple suggestion. I thing that having a random event directly touching you and your forces might be interesting. Your thoughs?

Edited by Okim

I don't really like the idea of it. Like you said, it's a lot of work to implement, not even considering how much it would take to balance, and at the end of the day I wouldn't find it that fun to randomly, out of no fault of my own, have an interceptor unflyable or a key soldier unusable or half my scientists die at the start of a month when my budget is already stretched thin.

I'd rather not see these implemented, personally; while they're a novel idea, Goldhawk is an indie team and simply doesn't have the resources to stretch themselves out with feature creep such as this.

I'm also leery at the idea of soldiers randomly becoming indisposed; it feels like a little too much harsh randomness even for a game as harsh as Xenonauts. :P

I really dislike random events like that in a game.

If you are doing well they can punish you for no reason while if you are struggling they can end the game through no fault of the player.

I prefer the game to reward you for doing well and punish you for making the wrong decisions.

Here is an example of open formated event system from paradox game about ww2

This event popos up for finland in case of winter war looming. This event is triggered by another event. Multilanguage text descriptions are stored in a separate csv file.

# Finland - Reaction Eventcountry_event = {id = 2501is_triggered_only = yestitle = "EVTNAME2501"desc = "EVTDESC2501"picture = "Winter_War"option = {	name = "EVTOPTA2501"			# Let them come if they dare!	ai_chance = { factor = 100 }	relation = { who = SOV value = -10 }	relation = { who = SWE value = 5 }	relation = { who = NOR value = 5 }	chief_of_staff = 29137	# Carl G. Mannerheim	chief_of_army = 29145	# Carl G. Mannerheim	set_country_flag = finnish_winter_war_has_begun	SOV = { country_event = 2502 }}option = {	name = "EVTOPTB2501"			# Fold to Russian Pressure	relation = { who = SOV value = 25 }	relation = { who = GER value = -15 }	relation = { who = SWE value = -10 }	740 = { secede_province = SOV }	88 = { secede_province = SOV }	779 = { secede_province = SOV }	SOV = { country_event = 2503 }}}

Or here is an event for Parliamentary Scandal that can fire for any country. It would fire once per 24 months on random date if the ruling party has oorganisation below 70%

########################## Parliamentary Scandal ##########################country_event = {id = 5001trigger = {	not = { has_country_flag = parliamentary_scandal }	not = { organisation = 70 }}mean_time_to_happen =  {	months = 24	modifier = {		factor = 2.0		war = yes	}}title = "EVTNAME5001"desc = "EVTDESC5001"picture = "parliamentary_scandal"option = {	name = "EVTOPTA5001"			# OK	set_country_flag = parliamentary_scandal	add_country_modifier = {		name = "parliamentary_scandal"		duration = 20	}}}
Edited by KOKON