Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: V8 Balance Changes Required?

The current reaction fire mechanics are a hack because the aliens don't have proper AI yet. As are the alien LOS mechanics, as you guys have already picked up on. I think aliens have pretty much unlimited sight range and 360 degree angle reaction fire.

The scout should work fine in the next update. I admit it's going to be hard to test the weapons properly until the aliens have some proper AI, but we're looking at AI coders at the moment so hopefully it won't be too long.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    Is it me or does everyone else have their fighters spend ages following the alien craft around before they get a lock? They never seem to be able to catch up at the very end and it's a wee bit frustrating...
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens

Awesome.
    Common wisdom proposes that at minimum 60% of the field of engagement should be rubble and/or on fire. As such the munitions budget has been increased 50%. Operations debriefs have shown that 15% is insufficient for current combat requirements.
    Ein jeder Engel ist schrecklich.

Anotherdevil - you mean on the Geoscape?
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Yeah, on the geoscape. I always place a base in the very top of North Africa, and the UFOs always fly in and out of my radar range either above europe (North sea?) or the atlantic, but usually over the sea. So often when I finally do catch up, I have to tail them over land, and then I run out of fuel before we get there... I once played and I got to UFO 3 before my fighters even managed to get into engaging distance (the tooltip popped up), let alone getting them over land. I always just send all 3 planes, in case that makes a difference

That why I stick my first base in the middle of the Soviet Union. Then the damn things fly over the Arabian Sea.
    Common wisdom proposes that at minimum 60% of the field of engagement should be rubble and/or on fire. As such the munitions budget has been increased 50%. Operations debriefs have shown that 15% is insufficient for current combat requirements.

Does anyone else feel that the distance your soldiers can see (i.e. how many tiles away the fog of war/shroud stops) is unrealistically short? I'd guess the sight range is about 30-40 metres at most and soldiers (especially elite/sf ones) should be able to see much further. It's also quite odd when soldier A can't see an alien himself but once soldier B has spotted it, A can hit it consistently with basic non-scoped weapons.

I'm sure this has been brought up before but if it was increased by 50 to 100% outside and left the same inside, for night missions, etc then it would feel a bit more realistic.

Doesn't really bother me anymore. You could try changing it yourself though. I think its in armour_gc.xml

Try 14.

I find that once I reserve a snap shot my troops can only run about 4-6 tiles. I don't see how one snap shot takes the same amount of effort as a further 6-10 tiles of movement, that seem to be reserved for it...

Captain
    I would like to see a reaction fire modifier (I guess that's for a soldiers reaction stat?) for soldiers/aliens that have not moved during their turn.

I had an instance just then of two soldiers (one with sniper rifle, one with rocket launcher) who were both crouched, facing the direction of a known alien threat (who was currently under the fog of war). They had not moved on their turn and had maximum AP.

On the enemy turn one Guard moved about 3 tiles into my LOS and then shot both of my men (insta-kills). Neither of my men offered reaction fire due to whatever reason.

I feel that troops that have not moved during their turn should have a greater chance of making reaction fire as in theory this signifies the fact that they have their weapon readied and would detect movement more easily than if they were moving themselves.