Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DF Discussion

DF Discussion

Since DF is pretty popular among the forumites. Or something like popular at least. Let's have a thread purely for chattering about DF!

Soap Castles? Bone armoured marksdwarves armed with bone bolts and crossbows? Slaughter pens filled with hundreds of puppies? Slaughter towers with the same? BEEKEEPING?!

And so on and so forth.
    Last edited by Sathra; 12-12-2011 at 15:03. Reason: I can't spell purely.
    Common wisdom proposes that at minimum 60% of the field of engagement should be rubble and/or on fire. As such the munitions budget has been increased 50%. Operations debriefs have shown that 15% is insufficient for current combat requirements.
    Ein jeder Engel ist schrecklich.

What's DF?
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc View Post
    What's DF?
    If you don't know that this stands for Dwarf Fortress then you have likely not lost countless hours to the detail obsessed insanity that is this game. To get a good feel for the strongpoints of the game check out the story of Boatmurdered.

Personal favorite Dwarf Fortress occurence in my own games was when a titan made of fire (suicide bomber) ran into my base, got killed in one hit, exploded, and melted 3 of my soldier dwarfs.

Boatmurdered, Syrupleaf and Battlefailed are all good.
    Common wisdom proposes that at minimum 60% of the field of engagement should be rubble and/or on fire. As such the munitions budget has been increased 50%. Operations debriefs have shown that 15% is insufficient for current combat requirements.

Oh I know about DF, just haven't seen it mentioned in the forum so I didn't realize what Sathra was on about. :P

I did try playing it for a bit but I'm just not hardcore enough. I need and interface and I need to be able to tell what's going on in a game. I know there are graphics mods that replace the ASCII visuals but even so wrestling with the interface and trying to navigate the menus reminded me of DOS days and things like Norton Commander and DOS Navigator. I just couldn't bring myself to jump through all the hoops.

But I do support the project, crazy things go on in there and I like how stories are generated through the gameplay. I did read the Boatmurdered story, most of it at least, hard to remember.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Between this thread, and the large number of other posts one after the other, I'd say Sathra has had alot of coffee.
    "It's just lucky for her that an alien came through that door instead of her husband." - Cmdr. Ed Straker on UFO

I've attempted to play Dwarf Fortress multiple times, but the learning curve has always knocked me on my ass and left me confused and frustrated. I hear the game can be insanely fun and addictive once you get the hang of it, so I'll most likely open up some beginners guides next time I try.

I recently tried playing and used some tutorials on you tube to learn the basics (after the in game manual confused me even more)
    But i do agree, there is alot to learn.
    One of them being, don't build your first fort on the side of an mountain really high up with no trees and just claystone... while better players then me might do well in that situation; i spent an hour too figure out how screwed i was.

My first lost fort was much more simple, but a good lesson: Don't play with aquifers, not matter how much you think you could deal with it.
    Really should have put more doors in too...

@Straker: I hadn't checked the forums in a few days actually, so still have to update the master bug list. And I live off coffee.

I love Dwarf fortress! The other day I was unlucky enough to have my upper body punched off by an unconscious goblin with no arms in adventure mode, And my fortress was invaded by goblins and all my soldiers were too busy attending a party that they shouldn't have been able to attend in the first place to stop them. Histories of Perseverance and Incompetence.