Replayability

How replayable is Xenonauts?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How replayable is Xenonauts?

• Not much, I played it once, and thats it.
    • Maybe one more time.......
    • I will revisit it for time to time.
    • Again, Again!
    • I would play the game multiple times in one go

Depends on what difficulty I beat it on. I've replayed the game several times. Started with Normal, and then slowly switching up. Beating I/I was the end of it for me.

Now ... if we have a Long War-like mod for Xenonauts ...

So what does xenonauts need to be a "long-war" version? X-Division is the nearest project for that kind of mod.

Yeah without a mod, not much replay value. Replaying a game should have "chance" factor. You need to discover new things at your every play. Choices are important too. Xenonauts dont have any chance or choice factor. For "choice", Xenonauts is not so good, it's aspect is using best/weapon armour against enemy. For "chance", i need some special codes at "researches" to give some chances to pop up new unique researches and "ufo crew" to create unique enemies, with unique drops..

I hope they wil be implemented by CE coders soon (or late) so you will have chance to use different things at your every game.

It doesn't need to be a total conversion to have a Long War experience. Xenonauts is pretty damn unique that mods are designed to work as harmoniously as possible (what games can say that?). While there will be clashes, especially with the more extbnsive mods, it's possible right now to have a long war experience by combining different mods together.

I haven't tried out enough Xenonauts mods to be able to verify that myself, since Xenonauts was always pretty buggy and I wanted to help out with hunting bugs. So I pretty much just stuck with vanilla and a few flavor mods. Although yeah, it would be great if we could somehow combine different mods together for a Long War-like experience, without them clashing and breaking the game (no offense to modders, I'm sure you guys always do your best.) Sadly I don't have much time in my hands to try to get mods working together. I can only play and ... report bugs.

Also, what I mean by having a Long War-like mod is, perhaps more horizontal alternatives rather than straight vertical stat gains; more modifiers that influence stats - in vanilla we only have the +10% DMG modifier upon finishing interrogating an alien species. More space for strategy in relation to squad formation and loadout. And maybe a significant bigger tech tree and a slower alien ticker. And so on. That would be pretty fantastic.

The reason for this is, I've developed quite a few strategies for Xenonauts vanilla after spending 300 hours playing the game that WILL certainly work on the grand scale in I/I, given I don't make any really stupid mistake like forgetting to do something. Because those strategies almost always guarantee victory, that the replayability can suffer quite a bit for me.

I haven't tried out enough Xenonauts mods to be able to verify that myself, since Xenonauts was always pretty buggy and I wanted to help out with hunting bugs. So I pretty much just stuck with vanilla and a few flavor mods. Although yeah, it would be great if we could somehow combine different mods together for a Long War-like experience, without them clashing and breaking the game (no offense to modders, I'm sure you guys always do your best.) Sadly I don't have much time in my hands to try to get mods working together. I can only play and ... report bugs.

Also, what I mean by having a Long War-like mod is, perhaps more horizontal alternatives rather than straight vertical stat gains; more modifiers that influence stats - in vanilla we only have the +10% DMG modifier upon finishing interrogating an alien species. More space for strategy in relation to squad formation and loadout. And maybe a significant bigger tech tree and a slower alien ticker. And so on. That would be pretty fantastic.

The reason for this is, I've developed quite a few strategies for Xenonauts vanilla after spending 300 hours playing the game that WILL certainly work on the grand scale in I/I, given I don't make any really stupid mistake like forgetting to do something. Because those strategies almost always guarantee victory, that the replayability can suffer quite a bit for me.

I dont think this game is so buggy at all.. some bugs at some special places.. The things you are looking for are already at X-Division. My X-Comish game play..a good and long player like you can give good advises to the modders i think..

If you think there are too exploitable weaknesses in the game or other ways that make it too easy to get a victory without giving an appropriate effort, I think those should be fixable if you describe them in more detail ...

I dont think this game is so buggy at all.. some bugs at some special places.. The things you are looking for are already at X-Division. My X-Comish game play..a good and long player like you can give good advises to the modders i think..

Well it is pretty buggy, given the amount of bugs I've encountered on my own and reported so far. The latest version seems pretty stable though. Also, I'll check out X-Division soon and will let you know what I think!

If you think there are too exploitable weaknesses in the game or other ways that make it too easy to get a victory without giving an appropriate effort, I think those should be fixable if you describe them in more detail ...

Nah. I don't think the strategies I have are exploits, nor the game has that many exploitable weaknesses (other than letting you block the teleport pad by standing on it, which has been corrected in CE as far as I can remember). It's just that because the game provides so much space for different strategies, that it ends up letting my strategies work almost all the time.

Edited by EvilEagles

Stopped playing after a successful insane ironman run. Might revisit it.

It's just that because the game provides so much space for different strategies, that it ends up letting my strategies work almost all the time.

What sort of strategies do you mean? Building bases in a certain way, or? Also, I think blocking the teleporter pad "helps" a lot by reducing the tedious nature of breaching by really 70%. :P