alien officers?

garyg

Just got my first ufo with officer aboard. Game told me that an officer was there but I couldn't see it. There were 2 reapers and 10 sebellions. All the sebellions looked identical. All seemed to be wearing helmets. Hard to be sure since you can't zoom in and I didn't have enough stun gernades to get them all. How can I tell?  I think 'UFO Extraterrestials' with B-man mods did it right by making the officers a different color.

Are you playing the Community Edition? You should be. It also helps avoid confusing messages.

Sebillian Officers do look a bit different from the rest... they have big helmets covering their entire head, but are the same color as normal Sebillians.

yes, I am playing the community edition. I still haven't seen an officer. I just finished a terror mission where there was supposed to be a officer Caesun(?) and another ground mission after which I was informed that I had killed an officer.  That's 3 missions and I was looking especially for an officer. I'm thinking that my reaction fire killed them before I really had a chance to look at them. And after they are dead it's impossible to tell. Thanks for reply. 

If they're dead, you can stand over the corpse and use the inventory to tell. Caesan officers in particular are easy to tell apart from the others, they have a black helmet but are otherwise blue like most early Caesan soldiers that you encounter. Given that they usually prefer to remain in the UFO command room, you have to be careful with suppression and reaction fire, I certainly have killed officers by accident before.

Since you're playing the Community Edition, you should have the Lore+ mod. It's on by default. It's a very good mod that doesn't affect the gameplay but adds some more information about alien classes to the Xenopedia that you get throughout the game. That includes some quality images of the different classes and a field guy to identifying them.

When you have played a bit more and know what officers look like, it becomes pretty easy to tell them apart, but I'm also expecting a much easier time in Xenonauts 2!

Thank you. The xenopedia doesn't identify officers though. I have done over 35 missions and have not seen an officer yet. I would think that the Caesan would be easy with the white head to identify if it had a helmet. Anyway I did get one of some kind of officer. I just put away my guns and stunned everybody in the alien ship. I always carry many stun grenades. Stunned most of my crew also but I got him.

Do you have the Lore+ enabled? If yes, you should get a description of the Caesan Officers after killing a Warrior or Elite (the higher rank combat troops).

Stun gas grenades are okay, but using the stun baton with a high-TU soldier is better. Electroshock grenades, once you have those, are probably the best way of stunning aliens.

*sigh* this is why Steam versions are so much easier.

Yes, you have to use the modded executable. That is, the launcher should say X:CE 0.34.1, and not 1.65. You have to use that modded executable to install the mod pack, and then just use the modded executable. If you're running the game from assets\mods\xce, then the other mods should also be present in assets\mods.

I think Chris is very aware of the problems with scaling in the game. Also, X2 is being built on a proper 3D engine, which means it should be possible to zoom in on things. I guess we'll see how much better the clarity is in a couple of weeks, with the first public build.

9 hours ago, Solver said:

*sigh* this is why Steam versions are so much easier.

Yes, you have to use the modded executable. That is, the launcher should say X:CE 0.34.1, and not 1.65. You have to use that modded executable to install the mod pack, and then just use the modded executable. If you're running the game from assets\mods\xce, then the other mods should also be present in assets\mods.

Ok Solver, I now have a Steam account. Do I have to buy the game again through Steam or can I somehow transfer my copy to my Steam account.  Would appreciate your help.