[v22.8 Ground Combat] Alien shoots through 100% cover

Recently I had a game where a caesan guard was hiding behind a hay roll on a farm map. I had moved a trooper up to flank him because I could not hit him, 100% chance to block. I still could not hit him after I moved the trooper and decided to end turn there, thinking I could reaction fire him if he moved out of 100% cover.

He ended up shooting a burst literally point blank into the haybale, destroying it on the first shot, and then the other two shots went through the destroyed prop, hitting my soldier and killing her.

He didn't even have line of fire, it was like the haybale didn't even exist to him. I'm concered other aliens could do this through destroyable walls.

Sorry no savegame.

Yeah, I just had a sebillian shoot a burst and a single shot right to the adjacent middle eastern 3x3 forest block. Looked like it didn't even know there was a 100% block in its shots.

Edited by Skitso

Unsure if this is actually a bug without a save, as I can't check the debug output.

@Legit - those hay bales don't block LOS. If the AI can shoot through an obstacle to kill one of your soldiers that it has vision on, that may well not be a bug.

@Skitso - that sounds more like a bug, but are you sure those shots were deliberately fired into the trees rather than scattering there if all the shots missed their target?

@Skitso - that sounds more like a bug, but are you sure those shots were deliberately fired into the trees rather than scattering there if all the shots missed their target?

The obstacle was adjacent to the sebillian, so shouldn't it be disregarded? Or is it still possible for the shots to scatter there? If so, that's a possible solution. It just looked a bit odd.

@Legit - those hay bales don't block LOS. If the AI can shoot through an obstacle to kill one of your soldiers that it has vision on, that may well not be a bug.

Why? Hay bales have 100% block chance, the alien should not have even taken the shot.

Like I said I'm worried that aliens are going to start shooting through destroyable props on xenonauts that are revealed by alien squad-sight. They should not ignore 100% block chance props when they are in the line of fire, even if they have sight on a xenonaut.

What happens when a 100% block chance prop is not destroyable? Does he just sit there and empty his magazine into it turn after turn, just because he sees a xenonaut in the distance?

Edited by legit1337