[e22.2 - GC] The notorious Medikit CTD

Can anyone else confirm the medikit heal CTD?

We were hoping it wouldn't break saves, but looks like it has. Ah well...that's probably going to happen quite a bit over the coming eight weeks given how many fixes we'll be doing.

Heres two versions of it with attached save:

1-Load: [ATTACH]3199[/ATTACH] first

2-Select Sgt. Mads Thomsen, he's the guy at the door of the Ufo at left.

3-Turn south to the soldier behind him.

4-Enter inventory

5-Drag Medipack to his gun wielding hand, pistol gets moved into belt

6-Heal (for 20, pack has more charge)

A7-Immediate CTD

B7-Medipack vanishes into thin air

B8-Enter inventory to see for yourself the empty hand

B9-Exit inventory, CTD happens while inventory panel cannot disappear

Now, I couldn't manage to reproduce version B after creating a new save with the error causing soldier selected to make it easy for testing. After I did that, only version A (immediate CTD) was reproducable. Before I created a new save, every single time version B occured, but after creating a new save, testing by loading either saves only reproduced version A.

Here's the new save I created with the error causing soldier selected, only A (immediate CTD) is reproducible:

[ATTACH]3200[/ATTACH]

I'm not getting the medikit crash, actually. I just tested it in the Steam build and it seems to work fine for me. Can you guys try Validating Files on Steam, then see if the crash is still occurring?

Validated files, still crash with the saves I uploaded. Still only the (Immediate CTD after heal) version.

Let me note: In the save file, error causing soldier faces southeast when healing. Facing him northeast also crashes after heal.

Also of note: I always play windowed, WinXP, I run the local exe when playing but running from steam also crashes.

Edit: Another one occured as with the situation B in my above post: Medipack vanishes, CTD on inventory exit. This time I tested an interesting situation: I moved the healer without entering inventory, though the medipack still disappeared from his hand in UI. Then I selected another soldier, entered inventory, CTD happened on inventory exit! This time without even the windows error log. This is one crazy bug.

Edit: I don't think facing direction matters at all, I got it facing most directions.

Edit: Workaround: move the medipack to the hand, save, exit, load: no crash and you can heal your wounded soldier.

Now I got a different instance where it gets even more crazy:

[ATTACH]3255[/ATTACH]

1-Load the attached save

2-With the selected soldier, move the weapon in her backpack to her hand where she is holding a medipack

3-Shoot at the alien in front of her, CTD.

So its not just the medipack, weapons that are moved to where medipacks are also crash.

gc 6.sav

gc 6.sav

There is also one strange scenario.

1. First move weapon to free slot in backpack

2. Move medikit to hand

3. Close and open inventory.

4. Try to move medikit back to backpack - you shouldn't be able to. "Beep" sound should play

5. Put the medikit on the ground, take weapon to hand.

6. Close inventory - CTD

Indeed this does not seem to be just limited to medikits. It also happens with firearms. It crashes whenever I do the following:

1. Drop an item.

2. Equip a weapon.

3. Shoot an enemy.

After this is done, the game immediately crashes. It loads back up the save well-enough, though forcing me to restart the mission over again.

So it seems to happen whenever you drop an item, equip a different useable item, and then use said useable item. Hmmm... I wonder if this also affects grenades? I've been using the 'quick' slot up until now in the experimental version...