[V19 Stable - Ground Combat] Crash to desktop on sniping alien

I had a rifleman on the upper floor of a barn in one of the windows.

I took a shot at an alien crouched behind a stone wall, the middle choice of single shot aprox. 30TU, the hit chance was just 12%.

Just as I was about to land what looked to be a perfect head shot the game crashed to desktop with a standard windows "The game have stopped working" message.

I have been seaching for a log file, but can't seem to find one.

Reloading the game and trying to reproduce the crash have failed so far, so it might just be a fluke.

System specs:

Windows 8 64-bit

Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz

12GB DDR3 Ram

2x GeForce GTX480 SLI (Driver: v320.18 WHQL)

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Ti FCS

Edited by sykopat

• 4 weeks later...

+1, first crash I got.

Barn, Sniper on 2nd floor, took a shot at an enemy behind a stone wall. Heard the sound of hitting bricks before crashing (I missed :(). Furthermore, in the same barn an Alien got stuck in a haystack (he was able to sit inside the prop and couldn't move out of it, this is something I've encountered across the board on several maps).

Map Farm

mox_farm_small_fields

Sub-Map 2nd window to the right (by the stairs), facing North

barn_15x20

Bug/Situation

- Shot at alien hiding behind wall_T5 (to the right of wall_T10_gap)

More puzzle pieces:

Bug #2 Unrelated but maybe related (Not a crash):

On a Terror Site mission (Rabat in Morocco), moved my Sniper to the 2nd Floor to get a better vantage point. As I went closer to the window (not close enough to spot any ground forces) I was constantly alerted of spotting the enemies on the ground level. I didn't bother with it and continued. An Andron took a Reaction Shot suddenly and shot through the floor and killed my Sniper. I just thought Andron's has heat-sight somehow.

On the 1st Floor there were several windows, and if my Sniper had been walking on the 1st Floor he would have been in the open for a shot.

Map Corvette

terrorsite_small1

Sub-map

bank_15x20

Bug

- Androns on road_updown_6x5 (Androns everywhere really between the bank and shopUD)

- I was running towards the west windows facing shopUD, on 1st floor there are several windows that'd give a clear shot at my sniper.

- Though I did kind of like it. Adds a significant level of despair if Androns shoots through walls.

Bug #3 Unrelated but maybe related yet again (Not a crash):

Middle East Mission, a white house that had 3 floors (1st, 2nd & roof). I went up on the 2nd Floor, that went fine. But there was an invisible wall as I tried to get to the 2nd stair to the roof. I didn't think much about it at the time (Beta is Beta), but there is a chance that the 1st Floor had a wall there or that the roof had some prop.

Map

middleeast_lightscout3_mox

Sub-Map

office_8x8

Bug

- Can't access roof because invisible wall on 2nd Floor.

Some speculation:

- Floors are getting mixed up when you get to an elevation.

- Sprite animation or the Sprite "appears" on all floors in the code somehow. Example: I think there's a haystack right under the window I shot from, so when the Sniper shoots he might appear inside the haystack and that causes the game to react violently somehow because it doesn't know where the Sniper is.

- It might also be that because the Sniper is on the 2nd Floor and the Alien is on the 1st Floor the shot itself might think it is shooting at an obstacle that is on the 2nd Floor (where there is none) and then it realizes "But wait! There is no Alien here on the 2nd Floor, then what did the Sniper shoot at?? PARADOX!!!" = Crash.

EDIT: I think this thread is related as well.

[v19 Stable - Ground Combat] Crash when shooting from the air with flying armor

Edited by Osvir