Was wondering if a Map Screen is going to be added to the combat screen?

I think its a huge advantage to strategically set up your troops. Instead of always having to scroll around the map, using the Map Screen would allow us to have an overview of the map and possibly see things we didn't notice before, ex. a ship or a piece of the map unexplored.

I'd like to second my good friend Savage's suggestion, that's one of the things that I think UFO:EU does better than this game.

I can understand if it's due to engine limitations or something of the sort, but if it's possible to add and to look decent (I don't know if the new UI would like it either, I haven't seen enough to make that say) then I say lets have it. It would make scouting, planning, etc. much easier to do, as you would be able to see any obvious choke points, routes around buildings/rubble/whatever, downed aliens, and even living ones. I've always wished for an easier way to see if a sniper can hit a certain alien, and having a top-down view of the battlefield makes it as simple as drawing a (mental) line with a (mental) rule from my guy to the target, instead of moving him one square left, then checking the hit %, then moving him left again, checking the hit %, etc. I can just see where he'd need to be, and move him accordingly. Multiple level support is also requested for said map (like in the OG).

Thanks!

drawing a (mental) line with a (mental) rule from my guy to the target

Well, v18 does it for you (though i'd prefer a vector line, current one looks like bullet is going to play a hopscotch).

Map is a good addition, of course. But looking of the several factors (no place for button in UI, this question was probably raised several times already, etc), i'd say we will not have it.

I'm going to search forums a bit, there is probably an answer already.

Maybe if not active UI map, it's possible to set a picture map as a background of loading screen?

Just to give general idea of terrain.

Picture need not be runtime calculated, it can be just applied to a map files.

Style of picture is different for different type of missions:

City map for terror missions (like this)

XenMap1.jpg

Pre-landing polaroid foto for most missions (I am bad painter):

XenMap2.jpg

Maybe "pilot's pen-drawn sketch" for some places:

XenMap3.jpg

XenMap1.jpg

XenMap2.jpg

XenMap3.jpg

XenMap1.jpg.5d0b28005a1ef16dd573e4ae8c2e

XenMap2.jpg.25c79b7ece40361fd4189e91fb9c

XenMap3.jpg.48e9ef3263491651bd772e4fef1b

Wasn't there a little mini map button that isn't in this build. Not that it worked or anything, but it was there.

I'm not missing the mini-map at present. I think I used it mainly in alien bases just to keep track of everything. CTD on those up to this this build.

Your Cydonia Tourist Map

dm.jpg

dm.jpg

dm.jpg.3d4d17562c46ad7edad0a6a63592559f.