[1.07HF] - Farm watering hose offers no cover

While it should apparrently be 100%. I don't know if this is a map-specific bug, or if it occurs on all maps with the watering hose.

I have the screenshot, as well as a save on the beginning of the mission.

2014-07-06_00001.jpg

And the save from the beginning of the mission:

[ATTACH]4790[/ATTACH]

2014-07-06_00001.jpg

Aut.sav

2014-07-06_00001.jpg.3773f27bb447651e9dc

Aut.sav

I thought I noticed something strange about these recently too. I remember they used to provide cover but I found myself being able to shoot through them unabated within the past 2 weeks.

EDIT: I just started a farm mission. From a distance it has a 75% block, adjacent it's like you're shooting over low cover. Maybe it's intentional?

Edited by libertyn

The hose occupies 4 tiles. From it's looks, it is a full-height cover. So if you are in X below, you should not be able to shoot at Y.

yHHHH  x

Shooting to Y via leaning, could / should work from X in these cases:

yHHxHHx

Even if the hose is considered "partial cover", in the first case it should give an aiming penalty because you go through two "partial cover" tiles. At least this is how partial cover works in the rest of the game.

Anyway, I think this will be one of the things that will never be fixed, because it is not "game-breaking". Probably someone will also argue that "this is how it is designed to work".

Edited by ntalas

Adjacent tiles do not count as shooting through cover. It is assumed you men are shooting through gaps/leaning out.

They guard tower in desert military base provide 100% cover and you can't shoot through it even when standing adjacent to it. The green hose must be a bug then.

The hose occupies 4 tiles. From it's looks, it is a full-height cover.

What it looks like doesn't matter. It's only the stopping chance that counts. If the stopping chance is 100%, it will block all shots regardless of whether you're adjacent to it or not. If the stopping chance is 99% or less, you will ignore the penalty if you shoot while adjacent to it.

I suspect the hose provides less than 100% cover, which is why you can shoot through it there. (You can check this simply by targeting through it when not adjacent as it will display the stopping chance). While the point you make about the 'blind spot' is true, there'd be no way to integrate that into the game without - I suspect - completely overhauling the cover mechanics in the game.

So yes, I guess I'm arguing that this is how it was designed to work (though it would be better to say it was never designed not to work like that, as I'm sure if there was time and resources and a non-rubbish game engine GH would have made it work better). I'm not sure why such an argument is necessarily a bad thing, though.