(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V4.0 - "SilverDragon" (New Aliens, Weapons and More!)

i was wondering... i need to stop getting updates from steam or the mod is cool with that?

still 200mbish left, can't wait to try the new playtoys!

Well, yeah, steam will overwrite the modded files with each new patch. In most cases you can just replace them back if you don't keep your xnt4.3.rar file.

Not likely at this point - but if Chris pulls of some unexpected big patch (one that would breake save files) then you would probably not be able to get back to your old xnt game. So it's better to have auto-update off.

Note that steam will update every time you start the game anyway (even if auto-update is off), to be sure that your game doesn't update just play it through the game's exe file. Not steam.

Edited by Theon Greyjoy

- Now I add a small possibility to found a Delta Viper on a Scout.

It may not be too harsh to happen so early? Let say... if someone is unlucky enough to have Delta Viper in some of the firsts scouts, he may be very underpowered to face them. Especially if still using mostly vanilla ballistic weapons.

Small details:

@ Victor: A single Delta followed by two Small Vipers can do too much damage. Believe me its completly possible. In the test I lost 3 soldiers on Insane, 2 soldiers on Veteran and 0 on the other difficulties.

SPECIAL NOTE:

Now its possible recover stunned soldiers that fall under vortex. One turn before you heal the soldier he will awake.

Now its possible recover stunned soldiers that fall under vortex. One turn before you heal the soldier he will awake.

You mean one turn after? Sounds interesting.

--------

I think, I'll use the opportunity that healing was mentioned and ask a question that was always on my mind:

If a soldier is killed (and they sometimes come back alive with 2hp at the end of mission) does it help to heal him with med-packs?

Does it by anyway improve the chance that he will be alive at the end of mission or am I just performing needless roleplaying when I heal the bodies?

--------

I think, I'll use the opportunity that healing was mentioned and ask a question that was always on my mind:

If a soldier is killed (and they sometimes come back alive with 2hp at the end of mission) does it help to heal him with med-packs?

Does it by anyway improve the chance that he will be alive at the end of mission or am I just performing needless roleplaying when I heal the bodies?

I make possible heal stunned soldiers, not critical wounded. The heavy damage soldiers has a chance to be saved at the end but can be healed in the ground.

You can save your soldier with medpack if he bleeds to "death"(but make sure to haste,you usually can spare turn or two the most) also there is fair chance to save your soldier unless he get butchered (if he gets around -10hp you can still save squad member) by bullets (at least that way i saved about 5-6 soldiers).

--------

I make possible heal stunned soldiers, not critical wounded. The heavy damage soldiers has a chance to be saved at the end but can be healed in the ground.

And about deltas ..if you ever face them early in combat and with vanilla weapons ...Never I say never engage it without 80% squad always have spare grenades and rockets,turn on burst fire mod on assault rifles and try run and hit tactic as much as you can.Also using C4 here may save you a lot of effort but you need to find a way to use it.

Edit:Or you can do what Theon suggest beneath this post :P.It also worth to mention that Vipers are afraid of reaction fire and that includes Delta ... so they are going to try to flank your position If large group of pointing guns,grenades and rocket launcher awaits them.Also they will probably divide and try to regroup and one spot ... this is key of eliminating Vipers (they have low HP but high resistance for ballistics bare that in mind) and leaving only Delta to deal with,unless there are Ceaseans out there waiting just for that ...

Edited by Sentelin

And about deltas

or you can return to your Charlie and relate to this meme:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nothing-to-do-here-jet-pack-guy

Aborting a mission is no shame in XNT.

I remember when playing the original X-COM: Ufo Defense... I used to kill an alien get his body and weapons for research purposes and then get the fuck out of there. To this day I have no idea whether it was a legit strategy or just the urge of ending a terrifying mission ASAP (hey, I was 6 years old, X-com was a damn horror for a 6y old boy)

Ok here is my playtest on Veteran:

The game is getting very hard at start, I found that early mission has deep strategy component. You need to scout enemy weapons composicition and set the team ready to deal with.

Early vortex rifles are anti grouping weapon, I need to scatter soldiers to avoid losing into the ground lot of your soldiers. I use to lose fear of the vortrex caster when I found that this weapon can stun xenonauts operative but in few circustances get killed, specially when you use open formation.

The alien AI prefer to hunt hardly the lonely soldiers. Alien melee units hit hard almost autokill non protected soldiers, each early mision woth basic armor is a real threat. When you unlock the Enforcer you feel the benefits, in early game I abuse explosives to deal Gargol Rush, Viper Rush and even caesans. The first Harridan is a hard oponent, he has Alien grenades that result deadly in close formations. The gift of the early harridans is capture it, because you can unlock Coyote armor fast.

About UFO invasion dynamics and air supperiority things become hard and the systen is a wonderful challenge.

The Su-27 Flanker is artwork and the modded Foxtrot is awesome. The new aircraft bring new elements to aircombat.

The Tier 1+ is wonderfull, each advanced ballistic give you a great advantage in combat and the Jackal armor gives good protection against light vortex weapons and plasmas.

I want to hear your experiences! Thank you

Deltas wasn't giving me much troubles after I learned how to deal with them. I mean, "not much trouble" when compared to what happened the first time I faced them (a whole squad lost to vipers and gorguls...). The best tactics to me still is RRE: Retreat, Regroup, Explode (screw recovering things, fight for your life!). I always have at least two rocket launchers and lots of grenades and explosions seems to be the best way to deal with a viper+gorgul rush. But some player may find it frustrating, I dunno. By the way, most times Vipers and Delta Vipers seems reticent to do a frontal attack on a large group of soldiers looking at them, so you can keep them away just by putting your soldiers together and look at their direction (humans may look disgusting to aliens!).

And what you guys was talking about healing wounds!? You sometimes can save soldiers after they fell to bleed or light damages!? I always thought they was lost when it happens... (not talking about unconsciousness). I can tell when a soldier is unconsciousness by standing over him and watching his body image on inventory screen (clean body = unconsciousness, bloody body = dead). But I never really used it to soldiers who fell to bleeding damage or alien shots...

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

RRE: Retreat, Regroup, Explode (screw recovering things, fight for your life!).

And what you guys was talking about healing wounds!? You sometimes can save soldiers after they fell to bleed or light damages!? I always thought they was lost when it happens... (not talking about unconsciousness). I can tell when a soldier is unconsciousness by standing over him and watching his body image on inventory screen (clean body = unconsciousness, bloody body = dead). But I never really used it to soldiers who fell to bleeding damage or alien shots...

The RRE tactic is the same as I use, Vipers avoid direct contact if they are out number. With Deltas you find troubles if they are grouped, specially in early corvettes or supported by Vortex weapons.

About the Medipacks is important that each soldier carry one of them. Wounds and stun damage can get your units to the ground if you don't take care.

The first time you face Delta the player get in panic and leave the mission xD (In some test)

Its obvious that the increased difficulty and gameplay of the mod make difficult to new players, but the target player for the mod is people that want challenge fight against aliens. Thats the reason of the name "Into Darkness", there is no moment of peace in this mod, you need to deal great threat all the times.

Thank you for the feedback.