How many Andorns fit into a small room waiting just for YOU?

I've encountered 6-7 caesans in the same room also camping the teleporters. But for whatever reason, one or two of them may fire/burst fire, but the others don't, at least not immediately, and though a shield guy may absorb a hit or two, he can get off a suppression grenade and dive back downstairs. Then my other guys play up-and-down-the-teleporters, suppressing and firing for a turn or two until they're dead.

The androns seem to be a much greater problem, one, because they're tougher, two, because they're not easily suppressed, and three, they're just standing there waiting for you. The caesans are crouched behind cover, and their AI probably tells them not to take sub-optimal shots, whereas the androns have no obstacles between you and them, are only a space or two away, so they instantly open up with deadly accurate short-range-bonus burst fire.

Just a thought, but has anyone experienced teleporter camping by aliens other than Androns? Might be useful to know if it's something specific to their AI parameters?

I once had a Caesan officer camping at a teleport (and it put my Predator soldier out of action), but it was the last alien on the map and it was the only case I ever remember of teleport camping. Usually (veteran difficulty) aliens mostly seem to defend the ground floor and only few of them remain higher, although I advance rather carefully (i.e. slowly).

I once had a Caesan officer camping at a teleport (and it put my Predator soldier out of action), but it was the last alien on the map and it was the only case I ever remember of teleport camping. Usually (veteran difficulty) aliens mostly seem to defend the ground floor and only few of them remain higher, although I advance rather carefully (i.e. slowly).

Yes, it only seems to happen in this precise situation (see Thixotrop's pic at the beginning of this thread). Normally, yes, "teleport camping" is rare, and most of them do defend the ground floor.

EDIT: Looking at Thixotrop's pic again, it seems he has a couple of guys in that room, alive for the moment. I have no idea how he did that (maybe because it was on v21 stable? or maybe because the androns were in different positions?). My troops are cut down instantly

Edited by dpelectric

..."Thixotrop Conundrum"...

Really? :P

EDIT: Looking at Thixotrop's pic again, it seems he has a couple of guys in that room, alive for the moment. I have no idea how he did that (maybe because it was on v21 stable? or maybe because the androns were in different positions?). My troops are cut down instantly

It was on V20, I think.

The first guy in my picture that entered the room is killed nearly instantly by reaction fire of one Andron. The second guy too, the dead soldier sprites are over each other on the teleporter platform, so it isn't visible.

Soldier 3, 4 and 5 went up, got reaction fired and two got hurt, but managed to kill one Andron (the one dead next to the low wall and behind the crouched soldier). They turned and had no TU left to go down or fire further. In alien turn they were gunned down.

As there were "only" three Androns at the left side of the ufo, some of the soldiers could survive until the aliens turn. But no further. Even with more soldiers up in my round they die, because then the other Androns turn and fire.

With this tactic I could kill the Androns, but would lose 2-3 soldiers per round, so no!

Abandoning the ground combat was the only possible thing.

With my current game still on V21 I haven't seen this "conundrum" again. And as I am shortly before operation endgame I doubt to see it again. However I haven't played for some time now, due to no time. And I will finish my V21 game before I update to final release.

Yes, conundrum. From the Merriam-Webster dictionary: "A logical postulation that evades resolution"

I thought it sounded kinda science-fictionish. [cue dramatic music and booming voice] "Behold, mere mortals: 'The Thixotrop Conundrum'! No-one has ever entered and come out alive!".

See? Now you have your very own part of the game named after you :P

That situation looks like a case for either retreat OR send a bunch of rookie suicide bombers. Two blocks of C4 on each guy with the timers set before you go up the lift. Strip them of any valuable equipment first too. Drop and pray. Maybe some smoke grenades too so the follow on troops have some hope of surviving getting positioned.