On the balance of Foxtrot Interceptors

Now, I'm sure there is some confounded meta-reason why this happened. But. Why, oh why, has the payload cap on the interceptor gone from 4 to 2? I mean, the lack of an autocannon is a trade-off for two more missiles. The addition of heavy hardpoints is a necessity, and shouldn't get a peak in affecting the balance of this fighter.

Because if it has four Heavy hardpoints it is the most powerful aircraft in the entire game (and you get it after a week).

If it has two Heavy hardpoints and two Light slots, it's still one of the most powerful aircraft in the entire game and is no longer particularly vulnerable to fighters.

If it has two Heavy hardpoints it's an excellent anti-capital ship interceptor, and later aircraft are still an upgrade on it.

I'll echo Chris' comments on that. I've modded the Foxtrot to have 4 hardpoints (check out my Flying Circus mod), but in doing so I had to completely adjust how heavy missiles work (turning the MiG into a Torpedo Bomber) and also make radical adjustments to capital and fighter craft ship weapon systems and HP values so the MiG doesn't rule the skies. I'm still tweaking it, and I'm still astonished by how the air combat game pivots around the number of heavy missiles an aircraft can carry.