All my hopes are fulfilled!

Surly_T

Just wanted to chime in and say thank you for Xenonauts. After what feels like a lifetime of disappointment and heartache waiting for that real "X-Com feeling", this game captures it perfectly. I'm certainly enjoying the rush of terror when your trooper rounds that corner into enemy reaction fire :(

Couple of things I'd like to applaud Goldhawk for:

- Artwork and music is beautiful, and captures the mood perfectly.

- Loving the new Intercept mini-game (although my pilots all suck at downing UFO's :()

- The news ticker that appears is a thing of genius. I see a report and WANT to send out a crew to investigate it. Whether it leads to anything isn't the point. The fact it exists lends the feeling that you're not in a bubble.

Cheers!

I very much agree. I pre-ordered Xenonauts about a week ago now, and I love it so far. One of the things that makes Enemy Unknown so great is how atmospheric it is, and Xenonauts has that atmosphere in spades. My only regret is that I couldn't afford the Legacy pre-order to show greater support.

Just wanted to chime in and say thank you for Xenonauts. After what feels like a lifetime of disappointment and heartache waiting for that real "X-Com feeling", this game captures it perfectly. I'm certainly enjoying the rush of terror when your trooper rounds that corner into enemy reaction fire :(

Couple of things I'd like to applaud Goldhawk for:

- Artwork and music is beautiful, and captures the mood perfectly.

- Loving the new Intercept mini-game (although my pilots all suck at downing UFO's :()

- The news ticker that appears is a thing of genius. I see a report and WANT to send out a crew to investigate it. Whether it leads to anything isn't the point. The fact it exists lends the feeling that you're not in a bubble.

Cheers!

Have to agree heartily with these; I've really enjoyed the music and the little random events. I often send a fighter or two to check them out if the map is quiet and they're reporting sightings or abductions, it'd be cool if a UFO would show up, or you had a tiny chance of finding a single live alien captured by locals if you responded to these reports, or you get aerial photos of a UFO that give you a tech to research etc (assuming a mechanic like this isn't already in place), or any other weird stuff people could think of. :) Regardless they add a lot of flavour & atmosphere and reminds you of the human side of the world you're saving. The odd news report or something as a single 'event info' screen (like the old 'terror attack' screen) would be another good way of doing this if you investigate one. :)

Edited by century_rain

My first post, but I'd like to add a "Hear hear!" to the previous comments.

I pre-ordered Xenonauts last night, which must have been an impulse buy as afterwards I couldn't really justify spending £20 on a game still in development and could have easily downloaded a copy of X-COM if I was feeling nostalgic, but I am so glad I did!

I have high hopes for this title as there is a lot of potential there.

I for one can't wait to put my joypad to one side and spend a few hours on Xenonauts tonight :D

i running back to Xenonauts headquarters in tears

064.gif

after read about XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN ----

1)start with 4 soldiers,

2)single base over the whole globe,

3)countries will give you missions with tradeoffs (send us 4 laser rifles and we'll give you 10 engineers etc),

4)time units have been removed for a simple move+action (or double move) for each unit, a.k.a consolised-dumb-down.

5)no more Aimed/Snap/Auto shots,

6)and many more "WTF" features to come....

064.gif

064.gif.8d6240e3940d5ff08aa60f07ee25b12f

I have to admit with version 8.9 I have jumped a few time at reaction fire coming out of the dark. The game certainly has the correct atmosphere and improves with each update.

I will be playing the X-Com remake as well, but I will approach it as a different genre or a sub genre. I've played the demo of JA: Back in Action and it feels more like a mix of Baulders Gate and JA. I believe these other games are spinning off as a sub genre, at least that is how I will be approaching them.

Xenonauts is a modern "purebred" X-Com, JA, Silent Storm game in my mind.