[v20.4] Accuracy formula in ground combat

That's weird.. in the first pic the wall is registered as a blocking object, but it isn't in the other two. In the second, the block value goes up by 15%, and in the third it goes up by 22% relative to the first.

I don't think that's the case if you look closely. There are two block % figures shown in each image, but the smaller, grey value is hard to see in images 2 and 3.

It looks to me like the wall is registered at 50% block chance in each screen, and the other obstacle goes from 29% to 72% between screens 1 and 3. The first image definitely has a 50% and a 29%, and the third has a 50% and a 72%. It's hard to tell what number is referencing what obstacle, though.

Here's a picture of the same thing in action I think. I have a save if necessary.

aiming picture

here's the matrix of hit/blocking chances:

Blocker kneeling :

snap : hit 42%, block 11%

normal : hit 60%, block 17%

aimed : hit 74%, block 22%

Blocker standing :

snap : hit 30%, block 36%

normal : hit 33%, block 55%

aimed : hit 27%, block 72%

1. an aimed shot less accurate than a normal shot but only if the blocker is standing.

2. block chance goes up as a more accurate shot is used.

Doesn't seem quite right to me :)

Hmmm. Tomsk, in your example what's happening is the blocking object (ie. the red text) has moved from the railing in front of the target to the medium drone between screenshots 2 and 3. Only the highest block chance is counted, and the 50% of the railing is the highest block until the aliens get to 64% in the third screenshots.

It's a strange situation, but it is actually working as intended. For FGART's example, there's no reason I can see why the accuracy should be going down in the third screenshot.

Hmmm. Tomsk, in your example what's happening is the blocking object (ie. the red text) has moved from the railing in front of the target to the medium drone

Thanks for the feedback Chris. I'd just like to point out that in my example there is no railing or drone for the blocking to move between. There is just a trooper, so one object is giving different blocking depending on shot choice.

Chris I'm curious as to why the block chance increases by different ammounts/% on seperate objects along the path. And why does it increase more than the chance to hit per TU spend, meaning it leads to shots getting less accurate when you spend more TUs on it? Isn't that really counterintuitive?

Here's a picture of the same thing in action I think. I have a save if necessary.

aiming picture

here's the matrix of hit/blocking chances:

Blocker kneeling :

snap : hit 42%, block 11%

normal : hit 60%, block 17%

aimed : hit 74%, block 22%

Blocker standing :

snap : hit 30%, block 36%

normal : hit 33%, block 55%

aimed : hit 27%, block 72%

1. an aimed shot less accurate than a normal shot but only if the blocker is standing.

2. block chance goes up as a more accurate shot is used.

Doesn't seem quite right to me :)

By blocker I assume that you mean the Xenonaut infront of the selected Xenonaut attempting to shoot?

Is the Shooter standing all the time? Have you looked at the accuracy when he is kneeling as well?

Edited by Gorlom

By blocker I assume that you mean the Xenonaut infront of the selected Xenonaut attempting to shoot?

Is the Shooter standing all the time? Have you looked at the accuracy when he is kneeling as well?

Correct on both counts Gorlom. The shooter was standing and the trooper in the line of fire is the 'blocker'.

When the shooter is kneeling the matrix looks like this:

Blocker kneeling :

snap : hit 48%, block 13%

normal : hit 66%, block 20%

aimed : hit 69%, block 22%

Blocker standing :

snap : hit 26%, block 44%

normal : hit 16%, block 65%

aimed : hit 10%, block 72%