I'm hoping that instead of psi power, there will be other mechanics introduced to make you invest in specific soldiers. Something akin to that genetics lab XCOM:EW is introducing. At the moment, losing a soldier is almost the same as just demotion as you get a rookie in their place, robbing him of the randomized stat progression. While it can be painful strategically, it doesn't carry much emotional weight unless you've named them after someone you know.

You feel the loss of an enhanced soldier so much more after you've memorized his randomly generated name because you personally selected him and told him he was destined for greatness. You told him that the nations of Earth had decided to pool their resources and place the burden on him because he was our best and only hope.

When he inevitably dies because your Rocket Launcher snap shot missed its intended target... It's enough to make you ignore the aliens and ensure that your rocketeer is executed by his friends.

While it can be painful strategically, it doesn't carry much emotional weight unless you've named them after someone you know.

No, it's painful regardless. Even in Xenonauts Beta, when I could savescum to my heart's content, I have subbed a breach soldier, because I didn't want them to go on a nasty looking mission at less than 100% health.

The randomly named soldiers form EU1994 who went all the way through the game, are still with me* :)

*Karen Geisler, Michelle Reynolds and Michelle Watson.

I'm all for ensuring that the Xenonauts go into the latter third of the game with various strengths, as long as they aren't prescribed Classes as such.

The (later) aliens still have Mind Control and other psionic powers, but the humans don't get psionic powers because we feel it's a bit imbalanced.

This understandable, but one of my main concerns with games like these is that most of the character development tends to happen early in the game. In late game, improving character stats will become meaningless or maxed out.

I think so far the only thing you can do is change equipment and classes (I could be wrong), which is good but might not be enough. In some of the "previous games" psionic powers were used as a way to add more late game character development.

Please consider adding more late game character development (doesn't have to be psionic powers). In my experience playing these types of game, many of them started to get tedious late game because of this. I got the "ah, crap, not another tactical mission" feeling.

Games that are Just Skinner boxes, aren't good, but neither is having no (limited) reward system late in the game. There are other ways to fix this issue (other than adding character development), but please consider my suggestion.

Edited by B-Kun

The weapon types look promising to keep soldiers from being identical, but I completely agree it makes a big difference. In EU1994 everyone would have the same armour and weapons going to Cydonia. Even Pisonics were no guarantee, as your final squad would be full of them too.

I should say that this was after playing a few times and getting to know the game well enough to know the critical paths.