Open Doors Give Cover?

I think in the OG shots could pass through a target square. Units had a height stat; it mattered somehow:

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Height

I think Kabill is correct. Also, you could hit the ground right in front of their feet when you missed. In Xenonauts it seems there is only one geometric plane for all shots. That was another proposal of mine, to have misses go high or low. Actually, that's a much more common error in long range shooting. Humans have a much harder time judging distance/drop than they do left/right offset. Probably because we developed our eyesight for close in danger/and hunting with handheld weapons not stuff hundreds of yards away. Not to be overly critical, but there seems to be some fairly major parts "missing" from the Xenonauts space model or they simply are not being used. They can be worked around, but I'm not exactly sure why they haven't been there from the beginning. Examples: Aliens don't use stairs, alien ship can't have two decks, etc... Edited by StellarRat

Yeah, it's given me an even greater appreciation for what Goldhawk is trying to do here. Microprose was a funded studio, so...

Edit: Under Spectrum/Holobyte, in 1994.

Nearly all the game coding for XCom was done by two guys. A "funded" studio back then was not much. I would say Goldhawk has AT LEAST the same amount of resources. It should be easier given that you can buy a great deal of capabilty just by purchasing a game engine. When we did our game we had to write every graphics routine from scratch, the only things "provided" were simple line and pixel placement commands. We even wrote Assembly code to speed up stuff that the compiler couldn't do fast enough even though it was "provided", like blanking the whole screen to start drawing the next frame and drawing the sprites in video memory. Also, back then there were no specialized graphics cards that could do a lot of the work very quickly. Mainly what's happened is the graphics have been upgraded in modern games because the hardware can do some much more and provides a lot of built in functionality and you can buy engines to do make the coding much simpler. A development team now is very heavy in artists vs. programmers, back then it was the other way around (and a lot less people overall.) Edited by StellarRat

In many ways, XCOM1994 was a very sophisticated game. Kind of amazing that they had all the stuff in that they did in 1994.
It was, but I think of the concepts they added as real sophistication. Destructable terrain, strategic and tactical modes, soldier progression, individual inventory, a working sim of the globe, etc... pulling that all together into one game was amazing. Not to mention, the very excellent and fun game design with good balance. It was definitely an amazing piece of work. I think the video says they did the whole game with less than $300K of development money and it made well over $2 million in the end. Imagine what they could have done with a little more time and more resources!

You might enjoy this:

Replicated what you guys are talking about...yeah, that's a thing. I have an old habit of never having my soldiers closer than 2 tiles distance (TFTD taught me the hard way): in 50 hrs I've never had this happen.

Stuck a machine gunner diagonally next to another soldier, then shot at roughly 45 degrees= dead soldier.

Replicated what you guys are talking about...yeah, that's a thing. I have an old habit of never having my soldiers closer than 2 tiles distance (TFTD taught me the hard way): in 50 hrs I've never had this happen.

Stuck a machine gunner diagonally next to another soldier, then shot at roughly 45 degrees= dead soldier.

Yep. I hate that. What's really funny is that the closer the target is the more dangerous a miss becomes. Makes absolutely no sense.

I never actually got a clear answer on whether the UFO doors are supposed to grant 50% cover or if that's a mistake (it's not a bug, because it's working, just not sure if intended or not).

Seems to me that I should be able to shoot through an open doorway without a 50% cover penalty. But hey, that's just me.