[18.5 Battlescape] Rocket launcher reaction shot? er, no!!!!!

You can turn off rocket launcher reaction fire by going into [your xeno install folder]\assets\weapons_gc.xml. Do a search for weapon.rocketlauncher and look for reactionModifier="0.5". Change it to reactionModifier="0", save, and you should be good to go.

I agree it shouldn't react fire, though, seems wrong.

I don't think it should even be an option, rocket launchers shouldn't have reaction fire. Does it make sense on some level that a guy who's quick on the trigger opens fire with a rocket launcher when a reaper comes screaming towards him? Sure. But does it make sense to force rocketeers to turn away at the end of their turn so they don't do anything stupid? Not in game terms since it's pointless busywork, and not in terms of immersion as soldiers spinning around in warzones is a little daft.

No chance of a reaction shot also adds to give the RL more character. Not that the RL needs it particularly, but it's always a welcome little bonus.

If there's someone out there who loves the idea of soldiers ambushing with RLs, they can mod it back in anyway.

I think reaction fire by rockets is OK, but a subroutine needs to be added to check to make sure no friendlies or civilians are within a certain "safe" radius before it's allowed to happen. Maybe that is already in place, if not, it shouldn't be hard to add. Any soldier worth his salt is going to make sure he doesn't have a chance to hit friendlies before he fires.

What I find more disturbing is that none of the weapons are firing bursts during reaction fire including the LMG which can't fire anything but a burst normally, but one shots during reaction fire. This has been a reported bug for at least four releases and still hasn't been fixed.