[V18.4 Geoscape] CTD on Soldier Screen + Possible XML issue

I have the V18H2 dmg:

+ Wineskin 2.5.9

+ Engine: WS9Wine1.5.29

Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 model with 16GB RAM / 256 SSD Drive. MacOSX 10.8.3.

Unzipped the V18.4 standalone in the installation directory. Launched the application, selected new game. Selected a base near Sarajevo and proceded to customise the soldier load out. I clicked on the button and it crashed.

CTD-2013-05-08.jpg

I've also been looking at the config files and I found possible issue. There's a weapon named DHVRL that is classified as a Rocket and has Rocket ammunition. Is this a multi-stage rocket to load into rockets?! :cool: That would be cool, but I think the type would be Ballistic perhaps.

It's on weapons.xml.

CTD-2013-05-08.jpg

CTD-2013-05-08.jpg.cd1e71d0584384bd0fc1e

I've also been looking at the config files and I found possible issue. There's a weapon named DHVRL that is classified as a Rocket and has Rocket ammunition. Is this a multi-stage rocket to load into rockets?! :cool: That would be cool, but I think the type would be Ballistic perhaps.

It's on weapons.xml.

Do you mean

bulletType="rocket"

on line 187 of weapons_gc.xml? From my amateur mucking around with it, what that basically means here is that the gun can cause explosions. I was playing around with making plasma weapons all be small area-of-effect for flavour and that's what worked for me.

I'm terrible at explaining, so try this for a shotty that has "explosive" ammo (pretend the shotgun pellets spread out, Doom shotgun style) and see for yourself:

<Weapon name="weapon.shotgun" [b]bulletType="rocket"[/b] emptySound="Empty Click 1">	<props range="9" hands="2" recoil="0" weight="5" isHeavy="0" clipSize="12" reloadAPCost="15" reloadSound="Weapon Shotgun Reload" reactionModifier="1.4" hpLimit="80"/>	<SingleShot sound="Weapon Shotgun Single" delay="0.6" suppressionValue="30" suppressionRadius="2">		<Set1 ap="10" accuracy="75" />	</SingleShot>	<BurstFire/>	<GUIImage name="gui/weapons/Shotgun.png"/>	<GroundImage name="grounditemimages/shotgun.png"/>	<Ammos>		<Ammo name="ammo.ballistic.shotgun" type="kinetic" damage="65" mitigation="0">			<Projectile spectre="projectiles/bullet/bullet" speed="98765"/>			<Impact spectre="particles/bulletplume/bulletplume" radius="2" fireChance="0" smokeChance="0" gasType="RocketFragSmoke" />		</Ammo>	</Ammos></Weapon>

It does kinetic damage (governed by the ammo's type), and the projectile moves so quickly you can't see it at all. It looks, acts and yes, even smells like a ballistic weapon for all that, though.

If you switch the shotgun to bulletType="normal", the shot won't cause an explosion.

Edited by Ol' Stinky
Specifying it's in weapons_gc.xml.

I guess it's not worth making its own thread about, so another XML thing: in aiprops.xml, Androns don't appear to have either a Recklessness or Grenade value. I'm not trained in XML, so maybe that means it uses a default value or somesuch; however, everything else seems to have values assigned...?

Would you have renamed the Rifleman soldier role prior to hiring a new soldier? It will crash if you've done that.

Those XML things aren't an issue. The AI tags are deprecated and the DHVRL works fine (if we decide to include it in the final version).

@Chris: What I did, was what I described, but this is exactly what I did:

Launched the game

created a base (Named it Sarajevo, near Sarajevo)

Entered the base via de tab at the top of the screen.

Commissioned a Medical Station to be built

Clicked on Hiring tab and hired Scientists (3) and Engineers (2)

Clicked on the Soldier load out tab and it crashed. I never got to even see the page. The screen capture shows the crash.

Later on, I tried creating a new game. This time I got to customise the soldier load out and even start a mission, but it crashed during the ground combat part. I reported this on another thread talking about missing textures - since the ground was missing.

I haven´t attempted to play a third time yet.