Unsure of some of the mechanics...

How does carry weight affect your soldier's abilities on the field? I see that once he/she carries too much, there is a time unit penalty, but beyond that, does it matter? Should I always be loading up soldiers with as much stuff as I can before the penalty kicks in?

Another question I have is regarding the soldier's belt function. The main reason to use the belt is to save on time units, right? This would be instead of using the backpack in the fight to grab some ammo, for example. I ask mainly because I loaded up a soldier with some rockets to go along with his rocket launcher, and I put two rockets in the belt, but during the game I wasn't able to select which type of rocket I wanted to load. It just picked(I guess) the first one available.

Otherwise, I've been having a lot of fun with this game. I know the game is still in alpha, so I understand the lack of a thorough manual. I'm coming from X-Com: Enemy Unknown (2012), and I've never played the original, so a lot of these mechanics are new to me. Thanks in advance!

Paragraph 1) Yup.

Paragraph 2) The quickslots for ammo and grenades have no relevance re. the belt. You can stuff your squaddies backpack with grenades and it will deduct from the backpack just as easily from the belt, and the game only assumes one ammo type for the ammo quickslot. At the moment, the only way to change rocket type is to go into the backpack, click and drag the new rocket type into the weapon. I suggest bringing this up in the beta discussion forum (although wait until the new update is out and the beta discussion forum is refreshed!)