Ah, now I understand the question.

Okay, some parts of this may be wrong, but this is my understanding.

When a shot hits, it does a random amount of damage (something like the base damage +/- 10)

When it hits the target, it checks if the damage is greater than armour, if not, nothing happens.

But if a shot does damage, it also degrades armour.

So if you've got armour the enemy has no chance of penetrating, you are completely safe.

If they can penetrate with a high roll, those high shots can make it easier for later shots to get through.

So the Hunter's armour really good against plasma pistol fire, but its not perfect. If you can get unlucky some shots will get through, which will let other shots get through. So in the case of the video, some of the shots rolled high enough to get over the armour, which let the rest of the bursts tear through it (alien weapons do a huge amount of damage).

You can still use it as cover, just don't rely on it not to die. Now smoke grenades in the new version, those are good. I had to reduce their effectiveness soo much just to get aliens to sometimes try to fire at units inside the cloud. And they'll still decide not to most of the time.

Lot of tu waste in those vids:

Crouching then turning costs more TUs, turn first before crouching. =P

Lastly if there is half-cover close to you that is in the way of your target, you can move to the cover to fire over it, I see many shots hitting cover when they can just move 1-2 squares to negate that. =\

My most recent game has only 1 HMG and 1 Sniper, the rest is 3 assaults and 3 rifles so I have been getting lots of practice doing fire and move tactics. TUs are gold in this case. =]