Regarding Maps in V18

@Gauddlike

I understand how the submap randomization works, I just got the impression from this thread that the whole thing might have been scrapped. I'm avoiding (most) spoilers so I haven't downloaded any of the latest builds.

I'll take your explanation as confirmation that the old system is still in place in which case the "new thing" does increase variety. :)

I think the option is still there, it just doesn't appear to be used as much in the current maps.

That may be down to a lack of submaps or because randomisation doesn't have as big a role in the custom designed maps Chris is working on.

I was mainly going over the old system for people who were reading but weren't sure what the difference was.

@TehRic I think the level you are referring to is industrial_lightscout2.

Chinook spawn is in the Northern corner with a concrete fence and a brick building to the South East.

If that is the case I would actually decrease the size of the gap between the fences and have a chance for some wall sections to be damaged for a randomly positioned opening.

I imagine many people just blow holes in that fence to walk through anyway :P

There are a few alien spawnpoints on the Chinook side of the fence as well so you may get a surprise when you run out of the Chinook sometimes :)

That's exactly the sort of randomization to help in terms of wall-type placements such as fences. Same for the bushes in the farm levels.

Little off-topic, but would it be possible to make bushes passable at the cost of extra TU? It would make for a fun addition of ambush strategies for both sides. Sending in a scout to check the area while you have a sniper hiding in the bushes. At the very least, make bushes destroyable via having your hunter roll through it.

@TehRic I think the level you are referring to is industrial_lightscout2.

Chinook spawn is in the Northern corner with a concrete fence and a brick building to the South East.

If that is the case I would actually decrease the size of the gap between the fences and have a chance for some wall sections to be damaged for a randomly positioned opening.

I imagine many people just blow holes in that fence to walk through anyway :P

There are a few alien spawnpoints on the Chinook side of the fence as well so you may get a surprise when you run out of the Chinook sometimes :)

I would like an alleyway between the building and the concrete. It was annoying to destroy the concrete wall just to discover an unharmed one on the other side, blocking my way exactly as the concrete had. The alleyway would allow more options too, going down south-west toward the ship, blowing into the building, instead of just blowing into the building.