Base defense missions.

After playing Xenonaut 2 for around 160 in game days, I've encountered 3 base defense missions, all of which unfold in a similar manner. The AI remains passive until I either initiate an attack or decide to retreat from the starting room. This renders the strategic aspect of base building somewhat redundant.

I speculate there might be two reasons for this behavior:

It could be intended to provide the player with an opportunity to position troops before facing a rush. However, if this is the case, it seems the condition for the AI to initiate an attack needs adjustment. For instance, if there's only one entrance from the hangars to the rest of the base (which is the starting point), the AI requires either a full retreat from all troops or engagement in the hangars after the door is opened. A potential solution could be to allow the AI a grace period of 3 rounds before launching an attack.

Alternatively, the AI might be overly cautious and hesitant to attack. Yet, from my observations, it doesn't hesitate to engage if the player leaves the starting point.

A suggestion to enhance base defense missions could involve introducing a mechanic where the AI attempts to retreat if they penetrate deep into the base but start losing ground. This would prompt the player to intercept them before they reach the hangars. If the enemy retreats, it still counts as a victory, but it sets the stage for future encounters with a stronger force. Alternatively, the AI could call for reinforcements directly onto the mission if the player hasn't eliminated the remaining intruder within a certain number of rounds. This would discourage players from camping when they have overwhelming odds against the last foe. 

image.thumb.png.7a514bc15a03d893e695efe1dc686b78.pngimage.thumb.png.947008bd19c6be01ea1f60d68642a6a5.png

Edited by compass

• compass changed the title to Base defense missions.

These missions definitely do need more work, yes. However we've implemented new AI for the aliens on these missions where they'll be searching through your base for targets more aggressively and that'll be arriving in Milestone 4, so I think we'll see how that works before we make any further changes.

17 hours ago, Chris said:

we've implemented new AI for the aliens on these missions where they'll be searching through your base for targets

Is it  possible to  play "Collect data sticks" mission other way around ?

I mean, is it possible  to teach AI move in groups and  try to get to various computers around base, collect as much sticks as possible then run away ?

Or, opponents might just place a dynamite certain base building. e.i. something like Counter Strike mechanic. Aliens-cleaners want  to  raid in, place dynamite and defend  it, for 3 turns until it  explodes. It obviously destroy one base building.

Also, base defence should use "reinforcement" mechanic. Player starts with small squad, like 4 soldiers then  reinforcemennt of 2 more soldiers  get into  map every 4th round or so. Lets make several starting points around base, so player could  choose  where reinforcement  appears. That  way, player could   block opponent, while reinforcement  works like  encirclement.

Base defence mission are long and boring. Also graphic need some fluf.  Still the same gray walls and floors  are not  exciting.

Could  you add some posters  on walls like :

https://store.airforcemuseum.com/i-want-you-patriotic-uncle-sam-recruiting-poster-950-004225.html

Or put  a colored lines  on  flors like  certain hospitals use. A  blue line lead to hangar. Red line leads to aarmoury, green line leads to dormitory and so on ... .

Also Friendly AI should be on map. So aliens could  shot  enginers or scintists. Also,  aliens could  free captured  aliens!

Simply add more opptional targets for aliens to reach, so player have  a hard day  to defend them all.

Edited by gG-Unknown