New here, and thinking about pre-ordering?

Depends on a number of things.

1. Do you have a monthly game budget or something that makes you chose carefully which game to buy? Otherwise preordering now gives Chris a slightly bigger development budget to polish the game with.

2. Are you looking for something to play now or can you wait until release even if you pay now?

3. If you are looking for something now then: Are you ok with playing Alphas/Betas? The game is still a bit buggy while new features are being added. Goldhawk tries it's best to squash any major or crashbug as soon as a new version is released but you may still encounter other bugs. The purpose of playing Alphas and Betas are to help find those bugs so that Goldhawk can fix them.

4. Probably something more that I'm neglecting.

Hiya, welcome to the forums! If you're interested in buying the game, it depends how involved you want to get in the community, and if you don't mind a buggy game that crashes. Once you pre-order, you get access to the alpha, then access to the beta. You can add an informed voice to others when commenting on it. You can muck around with the files and try tweaking things to see how they work. You can make maps, and we should in the future be trying out offical map layouts. There's a lot you can do once you've pre-ordered. At the same time, the game isn't finished. It crashes. Builds go through a cycle of new version, crash, buggy, less buggy, even less buggy, then round back again. Some people can find this frustrating.

...............but just wondering if it is worth it, or should I wait for the official release?

Personally I'd wait a bit. I preordered the game, and so far while it is somewhat a nice game, there are a lot of features that I didn't know about until I actually played the game that I personally don't like.

Play the demo (I think there's a demo) and do some research, and then decide.

Preorder is $20 while release is AIUI slated at $30.

And you still get the release later this year.

thanks for the welcome and advice everyone.

played demo and enjoyed it, and will likely buy the full game anyway so will probably order soon and save some cash. cheers!