Ambush truck convoy

1. Great idea. It adds feeling player is sort off underground revolutionary defence force. Scraping resources various  way.

2. Current version is  a bit slaughter. Tactical spice or some development progress is missing.

3. advices  for gradation

a) limit deploy area, lets say half map closer to barricade

b) split opponents to 2 groups.then make them spawn in 2 phases. Warriors (Cleaners with rebreather and auto-weapon and grenades on bikes) ,Support ( drivers in white collar and pistol, assistent-driver in work-clothes and a knife). Bikers are  official defence force so they are there in the deploy phase. On the end of first turn, drivers with assistants  spawns next to each door of the truck.

Edited by gG-Unknown

4 hours ago, Pietje666 said:

It's an ambush, so it logic you can use the whole terrain to position your troops 

This mission is so easy it's essentially free money even on Commander. Just give everyone a Shotgun and Heavy Armor, all the Cleaners fold in 1 turn.

• Thanks 1

I think most of my soldiers' deaths come from being shot at by aliens from out of sight in one way or another. I moved a soldier somewhere, gambling there weren't enemies around the corner, or just outside of sight range, or behind that door, and then the alien comes out and blasts him.

What makes the convoy ambush mission too easy is that you know where all the enemies are going to be. To make the mission more difficult (in a fun way), I could only think that you'd need to introduce some degree of randomness to the enemies' location, which would be reconcepting the entire mechanical basis of the mission.

So yeah, I dunno. 

5 hours ago, Vitruviansquid said:

What makes the convoy ambush mission too easy is that you know where all the enemies are going to be. To make the mission more difficult (in a fun way), I could only think that you'd need to introduce some degree of randomness to the enemies' location, which would be reconcepting the entire mechanical basis of the mission.

So yeah, I dunno. 

I always felt that in UFO: Enemy Unknown, the longer it took you to get to the crash site of a UFO, the more dispersed they were. Not sure if this mechanic was real or not, but it always felt like it.

An Ambush, on the other hand, should always give the advantage to the ambusher (otherwise it wouldnt be an ambush!). There will be plenty of times in the game when you will be up against it, so it makes a nice change when YOU have the advantage! You could set up accordingly but have it randomised as to where on the tactical map the convoy enters, perhaps (from one of 4 roads, from north, sout east or west). Once you spot which way they are coming from you would have to adjust accordingly, so yes. If you guessed right, the killing spree is in your favour. Guess wrong and you may not be as successful. 

Since I haven't yet done one of these missions, I'm assuming the enemy has to enter/exit at certain points?

Edited by ooey

17 hours ago, ooey said:

I always felt that in UFO: Enemy Unknown, the longer it took you to get to the crash site of a UFO, the more dispersed they were. Not sure if this mechanic was real or not, but it always felt like it.

An Ambush, on the other hand, should always give the advantage to the ambusher (otherwise it wouldnt be an ambush!). There will be plenty of times in the game when you will be up against it, so it makes a nice change when YOU have the advantage! You could set up accordingly but have it randomised as to where on the tactical map the convoy enters, perhaps (from one of 4 roads, from north, sout east or west). Once you spot which way they are coming from you would have to adjust accordingly, so yes. If you guessed right, the killing spree is in your favour. Guess wrong and you may not be as successful. 

Since I haven't yet done one of these missions, I'm assuming the enemy has to enter/exit at certain points?

They're all spawned in, and you can see where they are if you move a soldier around to look at the convoy before starting the mission.

In some rts you have to clear certain locations and then ambush the incoming army. Maybe perhaps that's also possible (depends on the map) on turn X the army will move in. And then it's their turn to respond to the incoming fire. If you did your best you will wipe them out, otherwise the battle is dragged on. 

So this type of mission is basically just the same as a ufo recovery mission? If so there's not much of a difference in mission structure, so what's the point? I had assumed the convoy would enter at 1 point and try to exit at another. Victory conditions being that the Xenonauts win if they kill a certain % of the convoy as it passes through the landscape, enemy wins if this isn't achieved by the time they exit the map or the Xenonauts are forced to withdraw before this % is met (anything else is a bonus). 

On 12/13/2023 at 2:20 PM, Avaren said:

They're all spawned in, and you can see where they are if you move a soldier around to look at the convoy before starting the mission.

This sounds a little dissapointing...

Edited by ooey

• 2 months later...

These ambush missions are still the same.

I have an idea how to prevent a "shooting fish in a barrell" feeling.

Make it so, the opponent has the first turn, but with 50% TU. It means, player would rather position their soldiers hidden, or at least into cover at the beginning.

What you think ?