Game CTDs When Sending Troops To Engage Crashed Abductor Ship

Wyldefyre_CP

Xenonauts 2 (Legacy 2)

Milestone 1.33B 8SEP2023

Just got and started having fun with Gauss Weaponry.  Shot down my first abductor craft, sent team in on a Dragonfly to engage.  Game Crashes To Desktop each time I try to start initiate the tactical battle to load up.  Tried a computer reboot, but no joy.  This is a save right before engaging.

user_from_scratch_4-92.json

Equally curious...  after detouring around that crash site and selling it off, I later encountered another Abductor ship.  This one was closer to my secondary base and it's crew of less well-equipped soldiers flying the original 9 man troop transport.  I sent them off to the site, half expecting the same CTD to occur, but it loaded a battle map up without a hitch and I'm currently duking it out.  Has me wondering if the issue was with Abductor vs. Better Gear,  Abductor vs. Dragonfly, Abductor vs. Crash Site or maybe it was Crash Site vs. Dragonfly ....  

Well, damn ... it's starting to look like it might be squad related ... just sent the same squad (my best soldiers and gear) to an Alien Terror Mission and same CTD problem.

I'm wondering if it is related to this flight suit technology that I paid out the whazoo for and then never saw in action.  Once my engineers said it was done, I don't think I've been on a new mission without the CTD, and the UFOpedia doesn't even seem to list it as a documented accomplishment.  Though I would've guessed that would've been applied world-wide to all my soldiers and not just base specific to my top troops.  I didn't see any option for flying available to my poor scrubs stationed at the secondary base when they went after the Abductors.  This keeps getting more curious.

12 minutes ago, Avaren said:

Have you looked at the game-log right after the crash? What do the last few entries of the logs say?
https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19974-logs-saves-what-they-do-and-where-to-find-them/

That's a good thought.  I just went back to my OP CTD to refresh that game log, but I don't see any new log info since 9/11/2023, and that looks indeed like dated material from months ago.  Wonder if the current log got moved to a different home ... the only other thing that seems to be updating is something called steam_autocloud.vdf

Narrowing it down, maybe .... my secondary unit managed to get to the Terror Mission with the Skyhawk and had no CTD.   So that left me wondering if it was the Dragonfly itself, or something to deal with one of my crew.  Took all my elites out of the Dragonfly, put in some new recruits with basic weapons, sent them back, wholly expecting a CTD, and the mission started without a hitch.  So it's not the Dragonfly ... seems to be either something my elites are carrying or .... I have another theory or two ... back in a bit ...

13 minutes ago, Wyldefyre_CP said:

Narrowing it down, maybe .... my secondary unit managed to get to the Terror Mission with the Skyhawk and had no CTD.   So that left me wondering if it was the Dragonfly itself, or something to deal with one of my crew.  Took all my elites out of the Dragonfly, put in some new recruits with basic weapons, sent them back, wholly expecting a CTD, and the mission started without a hitch.  So it's not the Dragonfly ... seems to be either something my elites are carrying or .... I have another theory or two ... back in a bit ...

BUG SOLVED !!!

This is truly bizarre ... I had wracked my brain over what was new and had caused my elite squad to start CTD'ing ... new techs I had discovered, new equipment, what could be setting it off, while other squads seemed to have no problems, even with the advanced gear and the advanced dropship ....

It came down to this one soldier I have, named VICK.  Poor guy didn't know he was wrecking my missions - how could he - things had been going just fine up to a point, and he was my best surviving unit, having wracked up over 50 kills, to the point where I had decided the medals themselves weren't enough, I was going to make an adjustment to his nametag...

Mind you, I've done this in the past with no issues ... when my soldiers get 10 kills, they get one asterisk (*NAME*) on either side of their name.  20 kills gets them a second set of asterisks on either side (**NAME**)  You run out of room if you keep doing that after every 10 kills, so I decided after 50 kills I would change it up a bit, and here's where I ran into my issue.

I decided at 50 kills, I was going to revert from asterisks (*) to carets (^) and I gave him plenty.  ^^^VICK^^^ was the culprit.

Further testing reveals that ANY caret attached to my soldier's name causes this same problem.  ^^VICK^^  ^VICK^  ^VICK*  *VICK^ and even just VI^CK all caused me to CTD on the terror site.  Removing any carets from his name totally prevented the CTD from happening and let me start the mission.

Very weird!  I guess we need to take carets off the menu for the time being, Boys & Girls! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Wyldefyre_CP said:

BUG SOLVED !!!

This is truly bizarre ... I had wracked my brain over what was new and had caused my elite squad to start CTD'ing ... new techs I had discovered, new equipment, what could be setting it off, while other squads seemed to have no problems, even with the advanced gear and the advanced dropship ....

It came down to this one soldier I have, named VICK.  Poor guy didn't know he was wrecking my missions - how could he - things had been going just fine up to a point, and he was my best surviving unit, having wracked up over 50 kills, to the point where I had decided the medals themselves weren't enough, I was going to make an adjustment to his nametag...

Mind you, I've done this in the past with no issues ... when my soldiers get 10 kills, they get one asterisk (*NAME*) on either side of their name.  20 kills gets them a second set of asterisks on either side (**NAME**)  You run out of room if you keep doing that after every 10 kills, so I decided after 50 kills I would change it up a bit, and here's where I ran into my issue.

I decided at 50 kills, I was going to revert from asterisks (*) to carets (^) and I gave him plenty.  ^^^VICK^^^ was the culprit.

Further testing reveals that ANY caret attached to my soldier's name causes this same problem.  ^^VICK^^  ^VICK^  ^VICK*  *VICK^ and even just VI^CK all caused me to CTD on the terror site.  Removing any carets from his name totally prevented the CTD from happening and let me start the mission.

Very weird!  I guess we need to take carets off the menu for the time being, Boys & Girls! 

Nice bug tracking skills! Anyway I was able to reproduce this easily, adding caret to the names for the soldiers indeed causes crashes. We're going to get this one fixed, though for now I guess no carets for Vick unfortunately!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to report it to us! :D