How about a proxy nade/mine?

When defending my base, I started to think how fun it would be with some kind of proxy grenade, or mine to lure the aliens into.

The OG X-com got one, but I have been thinking that a throwable one might be too powerful. So, how about a heavy mine instead? Something to make you ponder if you really want to carry it with you. It would play into other decisions too that way. Like carrying a lighter gun, and armor to be able to drag around the mine/mines.

The enemies could use one too. To remove you either blow them up, or you need a special engineering tool (which also takes inventory place). But you get the mine by doing that for your own use. Maybe it could be a slightly different mine so would actually want to pick it up. Like a plasma mine that ignores armor or something.

What do you all think?

Mine clearing? Nice! I would make the mines large though, so that only a few could be carried (perhaps C4 charge-sized). Their only use really could be to block off routes and such, or place them on corners so that a unit coming around the corner gets clobbered (obviously of no use against flying enemy). I suppose you could throw an object at them to set them off, so that they wouldn't be so omnipotent. The problem in UFO EU was that they could be over used (you could often win a tactical battle just by laying loads of proxy grenades).

Mines basically have the effect of slowing things down, so it would be a good addition (another gameplay element). Unlike real mines though, I suppose they would have to be just a visible deterrent (no time to bury them on a tactical battlefield).

Edited by ooey
  • Like 1