skirmish mode battlescape weather effects and nucear dead zones

Snozy

Maybe I just want to jump in and play a custom battle with everything unlocked(as long as you discover it in Campaign) for my choosing and then Start Mission! Would love to see this feature added post-release for free Thank you.

OpenXcom has already implemented this neat feature which you can also use to test your mods.

Next suggestion. Within the new Geoscape, please add any kind of notes that would change the Battlescape and affect your Xenonauts like ugly weather, war zones, and nuclear dead zones.

Say North Korea launched a nuke, u could see it traveling and maybe it gets shot in mid-air or maybe it landed so a tiny circled Bio-hazard icon will be over the area it landed in. If a UFO crash lands into a dead zone, you better have Power Suits to protect you from that harmful radiation if you plan to capture the UFO.

Say North Korea invaded Mexico and a UFO landed in the Warzone. you will be up against freaked out Military men and they shoot anyone they see. Small icon in the middle of the invaded country and details when you hover over the country.

Maybe have an EU Civil War between Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, and MORE free-for-all brawl battling each other in madness!

Funding wont change because Xenonauts is a secret World-Wide organization requiring the highest clearance so not even the president knows about it so he cant even request funding cuts. At war or not, only the oldest of elites with power AKA council member for that nation would make sure you keep getting paid if you do your job right which is cleaning up, leaving no evidence of alien unknowns.

Thank you everyone and I hope you all had great holidays and lots of presents! Muan muah hmma hmmma lots of kisses and hugs! This time my English teacher came to my house and helped me so I its not that bad this timeeee right

NOTE. I meant to put this here in suggestions. im sorry and htnak you for your patience..

nucelear dead zones... sounds amazing but too much time and effort to implement now meaning how i see the nuclear deadzone is as a whole nex tileset of wasteland in wich the ufo crashed and random area's of some sort of smoke to represent the radioactive hazzards and the smoke area's deal dmg per turn unless you have the power armor

quick batle is already in the game no?

Hey Snozy, I hope you had a good holiday.

On Unlocked battles, Max Caine has got that one. I was thinking about it too only yesterday. Horrible alien hive battles in my case.

Geoscape updating - probably beyond the scope of what's likely. However, it would be cool to see a UFO knocked out of the sky due to an electrical storm (less so for a Chinook, but then you'd not fly unless you had to right?). Nuked terror sites that stay a little nuked would be good too. Although they seem like limited block tactical devices, rather than city destroying warheads.

(Running with that - the Geiger Counter - a device that checks the radiation of the battlescape, picking out hotspots. Radiation that is slowly affecting your soldiers. A time based mission for a very good reason. It could be based on a motion detector, should there be such a thing.) Battlescapes could be modified deserts.

Weather in the Battlescape was mentioned here and terrain in general came up here.

Aliens in protective suits goes nicely with an alternate role of a Hazmat Xenonaut that's in here

More details on Countries acting against each other in a link I should have on SpeedLink over here

lots of good fun to think about, if not to actually ever get to play :)

I love suggestion of "Skirmish mode", but your idea of Geoscape seems to be too confusing, and ambiguous. Why should nations have war with each other when they are facing a bigger threat, alien? Conflict between them would be more interesting (so that if Xenonauts want to please one faction, they may have to upset the other), but going as far as attacking (and nuking each other cities) is kinda unnecessary.

It's a sort of fluid situation depending where in the campaign against the aliens the Earth finds itself in. It's also fluid, depending on the size/ motive and alliances the nations have.

Examples: Late in the game Iraq "finds" alien activity in Iran or vice versa. Now, the overall battle may be almost won with the Xenonauts poised to launch the final mission. You would therefore potentially have a number of nations looking to exploit this situation so that their country ends up in the post-invasion Earth in a stronger position.

Now, say the US was funding Iran or Iraq. They would diplomatically prevent too much conflict escalating as a result. Likewise, both the US and the USSR would be looking to exploit their cold war territories. This may be to "strengthen" certain nations against invasion, ostensibly by takeover. It may be to openly sell arms to factions they feel capable of fighting the aliens (with the added bonus that they would take power afterwards).

certain groups within countries may also see the invasion as the perfect opportunity to stage coups/ revolutions. All in order to better protect their country form the threat, of course. The new regimes may find themselves in conflict with their neighbours.

Only the most deranged of countries would actively sabotage humanity chances against the aliens. But then every country has it's deranged people/ fanatics.

This isn't even counting Alien Infiltration, that actively looks to subvert/ intimidate/ bomb a target funding bloc into submission. The more terrified leaders/ fanatic leaders/ power mad leaders may think humanity has no chance and will be the first to sign alien pacts. Every nation has it's collaborators.

More on the Cold War Escalations here :)

Ironically, the more successful the Xenonauts are in subduing the alien threat, the more opportunistic the nations they protect are likely to become. Not that they've ever needed any encouragement there.

Thank your for your replies everyone even if you agree and disagree. thothkins thank you for your very thoughtful post. Humanity is very predictable and will always create madness out of nothing.

I always thought the Xenonauts was a top secret organization, which would make it a sin for the media to openly talk about. The media of the 1970s being only the radio and the television, without the internet, the aliens will eventually end up on headline news, but Xenonauts would be easily hush hush as much as possible. So this way you could say no one would attempt to sabotage the Xenonauts the last beacon of hope. I dont knoe, I just like secret organization stuff. The world is full of secret societies and they have reasons to be secret, one is because they are small, like Xenonauts hehehehe :)

Anyways my point about the Geoscape is, all I want is more meaningful activity going on but maybe we can see in a mod.

"Humanity is very predictable and will always create madness out of nothing."

Definitely when there is a profit to be made out of it.

"I always thought the Xenonauts was a top secret organization, which would make it a sin for the media to openly talk about."

From the back story, the Xenonauts are the only organisation that has managed to take down a UFO. With 3000 UFOs clearly evident in the skies, and scared/ panicking populations, it's debatable how secret Xenonauts are following that. Particularly when they start going on missions and interacting with local forces and civilians. Certainly the governments of the funding nations know about them (in part at least) as the Xenonauts are telling them that they will have to pay to receive continued protection.

Prior to 1979, they had worked in practically complete secrecy following the lack of research the Iceland Incident remains produced.

"I don't know, I just like secret organization stuff. The world is full of secret societies and they have reasons to be secret, one is because they are small, like Xenonauts hehehehe"

I wrote up a little bit about a secret within the secret organisation of Xenonauts you may like (or not)