(v8.2 - Air Combat) Retreating into Zone of Fire

In air combat it usually isn't long before my fighters have to disengage due to being low on fuel (which is annoying). When this happens I usually select retreat. When the fighters retreat they go in one of two directions: Towards the SE corner (which is fine) or towards the western edge. What often happens when they retreat west is they are going in the same direction as the retreating UFO. The problem here is that the retreating fighter overtakes and passes the retreating UFO and when it enters the UFO's zone (or cone) of fire it gets shot down. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to prevent this needless loss.

Yeah, this is annoying - but we'll have to look at it when we overhaul the air combat. Basically the fighters always retreat towards the nearest map edge. One possible solution is that retreating fighters slow to 60% speed or something (maybe this will only apply if they are out of fuel)?