Base defence consequences

Probably not as of now.

I don't think hardware damage mechanics are necessary, since the AI won't know to vandalize your base and what collateral damage you cause yourself is pretty minor compared to base intrusion itself. Unless you start firing missiles. Shutting the base down for a couple days for repairs regardless might be realistic.

On the other hand, having "civilians" (but these have to act smarter than to run around waving their hands in the air, preferably carry pistols but avoid combat) that, when killed, are taken out of your eng/sci total, would be a great mechanic, and should be relatively easy to implement. Maybe apart from the AI part, but there already are armed civvies in the game.

If aliens will kill some civilians in our base, will number of engineers/scientists drop?

There will be none. Chris said that the base art will be done in such a way to make it seem that it was abandoned in a hurry. An elete organization such as xenonauts probably have like fifty plans on how to evacuate the non combatant personell in 60 seconds or less.

In my opinion Xenonauts base should contain no civilians at all. After all it is not a museum of some sort but a miliary base operating on full alert.

And from this point I would say that every Xenonaut engineer and scientist should carry a pistol at all times.

Regarding damage, during base missions alien goal should be to inflict maximum damage, and our goal should be to kill all aliens quickly enough to avoid that.

Heavily damaged buildings/rooms should be not-operational for a few days on the strategic view.

An elete organization such as xenonauts probably have like fifty plans on how to evacuate the non combatant personnel in 60 seconds or less.

forty nine of which involve variations of putting lamp shades on heads and pretending to be furniture.

I'd be peeved if Scientists and Engineers were being killed because of AI. If they were to be there at all, I'd have preferred control over them. At the very least the ability to give them orders would be preferred.

As someone who tries to be very cautious destroying things in bases, having penalties to that facility may be OK, but as long as it was form massive damage. If, having been careful, and losing a small crate in the middle of a workshop, I'd hardly expect the facility to be shut down arbitrarily for 2 days.

Xcom Veteran, you'll find this post by Chris very informative. I would suggest checking out the rest of that thread (even if it is old). You might find some other questions answered as well.

EDIT: And check out this thread. It should lay to rest any worries that you may have about loosing engineers or scientists. (Chris' response is about 4 posts down).

Edited by Max_Caine

Xcom Veteran, you'll find this post by Chris very informative. I would suggest checking out the rest of that thread (even if it is old). You might find some other questions answered as well.

EDIT: And check out this thread. It should lay to rest any worries that you may have about loosing engineers or scientists. (Chris' response is about 4 posts down).

Thanks. So my idea isn't new and probably will be implemented in some form.

Your troops are wiped out. The engineers are desperately inventing something as the workshops are bombarded and the lab rats all died when their alenium test rig went critical under alien attack. Fortunately, Xenonauts provides a full range of base NPCs and your vending machine repair men are ready to start their counter offensive.