Are we alone ??

poisson

Since the first one, i m in love with xcom-like games, but every times i have this kind of felling : "WTF why are we the only one able to fight ?? Where are the armies of the world?? on holiday ??? it seems so"

It seems that at each alien invasion the whole world armies are going to a gigantic picnic and don't care about what is happening. They just forgot some no-name rookies/scientist/tech lost in empty base... it seems they sucks so they didn't invite them to the party...

Is it me, or in all this type of game, the player is able to do better and faster things than any country with a decent military program and/or army?

How , a little squad of 6-10+ people, is able to fight fairly with aliens , where whole armies aren't ? While at the start of all games we have the same equipment ??

I love these games but the starting script is really weird.

What do you think ?

Xenonauts will have NPC soldiers and policemen on some maps to give the impression that conventional armies are participating as well. It's not going to be super realistic but will help alleviate the feeling of being alone while everyone else sits on their elbows.

But regardless of the above there are two ways of looking at it.

1. The armies of the world are actually fighting a fierce losing battle but it's in the background and you never get to see it because it doesn't concern you. It is your small elite team's job to collect and reverse engineer alien technology and then find and implement a "final solution" to the alien problem and do it all by using commando tactics while avoiding large scale engagements.

2. The "invasion" is actually quite small in scale with the aliens conducting small quick strikes and using their technological advantage to stay ahead of the conventional armies all for some sinister purpose unknown to us. X-COM/Xenonauts are established as a special task force and are the only ones who can grab the aliens by their tail so to speak by being small, mobile and using the best technology on Earth that the world's governments have reluctantly agreed to share.

Because this "type" of game is about fighting alien invasion by small squad. If country armies will fight at full power versus full scale alien invasion - there will be no noticeable work for small organisation, if we rule full country armies it will be another game. But just because what is happening is nonsence( and it is) is not the reason to not make such games, because they fun. And save world by your small team is fun.

Edited by zzz1010

Besides, who said you were in charge of ALL Alien defense? There could be other "XComs" and/or other XCom bases and resources that you either aren't in charge or possibly not even aware of (for security purposes.) Putting all your eggs in one basket is foolish. The world leaders probably would have multiple backups and plans to deal with alien threat.

Like i said , i love xcom-like games.

I understand the need of micromanagement for the troops, because like some said , we can say that we are an "elite" squad specially trained to fight the invasion (i said "elite" with the "" because we only have rookies, in all aspect, not only in aliens technology). But at some point, i think we can have reinforcement from armies with better facilities or new kind of training. There is to be a process to have a renewal of our troops, the experienced ones sharing their knowledge with outsiders, so new recruits can have better training and/or experience when they come.

I like also the fact that we are doing research, but at some point i think we can benefit from research others team around the world are doing, to show us that we are not alone , and that the biggest research can not be done we the small team we can have. Research that we can do are essentially the ones to use alien technology in combat, the use of weaponry or simple resources to improve our weapons/equipment. Research like new aircrafts, vehicles, or new design of weapon can't be done with small laboratory and are to be done in big research center.

Like the research, i think engineering is limited at adaptation of alien weaponry and resources for immediate use on the field. Manufacturing of brand new equipment can't be done with small substructure and there is a need to rely on external workshop to make the biggest ones.

With these little change , i think we can focus on the management of our troops and bases with the current stand point of the game, plus adding brand new missions to ensure the security of the research facilities/workshops/training grounds that provides us all we need to fight the alien invasion. And also i think that time to time, country that support us can provide us with some non financial help, like real elite troopers, equipment and such.

Again , like i already said i love xcom like games but we can add some depth to them including another form of relation with the countries/armies around the world.

Sorry for my bad english, google is not of big help.

Are you seriously using google translate? If so you are really proficient in that tool. Your post makes sense, while most google translate posts simply don't...

But I don't understand why you want to take out crucial interesting parts of the game. Xenonauts wouldn't be an X-com clone without the research and manufacturing. Outsourcing that part to behind the scenes game mechanics just wouldn't be as fun. :(

Indeed. As time agoes on, you have can have new "standard" equipment added othte xenonauts, things developed by other countries and teams.

Like a F18 or something. By the time you get it you will probably have better, but it would stil lbe better than the starting F17.

You don't even have to get it personally. News of new weapon prototypes starting to see mass deployments, news of troops movements and the like - small things that add atmosphere.

Small things.

Or maybe the option to sell/gift/give a prototype of a new weapos/aircraft and after a moth or two (as long as it takes the world to set up a dedicated production plant) you could order/buy it like any other plane.

Sorry, i explain myself very badly.

I see the research and manufacturing in xcom clones like a fast adaptation of loot to have faster ,better equipment ready to use on the field. But while this allow us to fight the aliens fairly, I assumed that these research are some prototype and that the full extended research and production are done else where.

So at a point ,the prototype we made earlier in the game are to be replaced with fully developed products enhanced with all the resources of countries backing us up.

I see us like pioneer of a system that support us fully to advance further and further by completing our lake of resources.

Edit : and for the manufacturing, is anyone knowing a team of less than 50 peoples who can make an aircraft like the F-17 from scrap ??

Without any external help to do some of the component...

Edited by poisson

Without reading the back ground I look at it like this, XCOM was formed after first contact to be a multinational alien swatting team, you are funded by all nations and if you cant protect them they strip you of that funding and opt out of the XCOM project to either take the aliens on themselves or to join with them to try and save there own asses.

Gonna read what its really all about at some point...