Minor observations with the Demo

What a fantastic job you guys are doing! This demo has me so excited, I cannot wait for the game or early access.

Please forgive me if things mentioned here are already on the feature list or planned. I did do a search, but can't seem to find a list.

Some minor observations:

Armory screen.

• It is not obvious that you can move between the solders using A and D keys.
  • Will there be a tab feature to go through the other parts of this screen, e.g. selecting load out types, gear, etc.?
  • Renaming the soldiers is always awesome, but the double-click to engage that edit was not obvious. Maybe a little pencil/edit symbol next to the name/picture?
  • More custom load out icons. :)
  • BIG feature ask here. when hovering over some equipment in the list, it would be great to see a comparison to the already equipped gear, with green text for better, red text for worse attributes.

Manage Soldiers screen - love this window and the ability to sort by any column.

• Maybe some popup tool tips on all the abbreviations?

Storeroom Items screen

• Maybe a right click on the item will bring up the Xenopedia explanation of what it is? or the stats on any item?
  • Are there plans to show capacity for each item, or just the total number of each item as it is now?

Air Combat

• Agreeing with other observations, it seems to need twitch reflexes. slowing it down somehow may help?
  • goes by too fast. I did not see the opportunity to move plane lines of attack, just rolls, etc.
  • Since we know the angle of fire for the UFOs, it would seem the fighters would/should attack from different angles to try to get to the rear, etc. Having the ability for flight engagement tactics?
  • If the air combat is just a vehicle for getting to the tactical combat, I guess emphasizing the benefits for air upgrades and their stats more so than now?

Tactical Combat

• Indirect fire - I could not figure out how to get my grenadier or the MARS unit to fire for effect, on an area or wall or whatever. They would only fire on alien targets.

Steam Deck?

• Are there plans to support the Steam Deck? If so, I have one and would love to test the demo there and report back on anything. However, if there are no plans to support the Steam Deck, I am not going to spend the time. :) It would be awesome, but there are only so many things you guys can tackle at one time. I totally get it.

Overall, I just want to say thanks for all the care and love you are putting into the game. I really got that original XCOM feel, and that.... just one more turn feeling. I am not sure if any of this is helpful, but I appreciate the opportunity to post.

Thanks!

Edited by SE_Weed

52 minutes ago, SE_Weed said:

• Since we know the angle of fire for the UFOs, it would seem the fighters would/should attack from different angles to try to get to the rear, etc. Having the ability for flight engagement tactics?

Tactical Combat

• Indirect fire - I could not figure out how to get my grenadier or the MARS unit to fire for effect, on an area or wall or whatever. They would only fire on alien targets.

-right before the air combat starts, you have the option to choose from a selection of starting positions in the top left. You can easily change tactics before the air combat officially starts by selecting one of them. 
-press ctrl for free aim/indirect fire 

10 minutes ago, Kamehamehayes said:

-right before the air combat starts, you have the option to choose from a selection of starting positions in the top left. You can easily change tactics before the air combat officially starts by selecting one of them. 
-press ctrl for free aim/indirect fire 

Excellent! Thanks!

4 hours ago, SE_Weed said:

What a fantastic job you guys are doing! This demo has me so excited, I cannot wait for the game or early access.

Please forgive me if things mentioned here are already on the feature list or planned. I did do a search, but can't seem to find a list.

Some minor observations:

Armory screen.

• It is not obvious that you can move between the solders using A and D keys.
  • Will there be a tab feature to go through the other parts of this screen, e.g. selecting load out types, gear, etc.?
  • Renaming the soldiers is always awesome, but the double-click to engage that edit was not obvious. Maybe a little pencil/edit symbol next to the name/picture?
  • More custom load out icons. :)
  • BIG feature ask here. when hovering over some equipment in the list, it would be great to see a comparison to the already equipped gear, with green text for better, red text for worse attributes.

Manage Soldiers screen - love this window and the ability to sort by any column.

• Maybe some popup tool tips on all the abbreviations?

Storeroom Items screen

• Maybe a right click on the item will bring up the Xenopedia explanation of what it is? or the stats on any item?
  • Are there plans to show capacity for each item, or just the total number of each item as it is now?

Air Combat

• Agreeing with other observations, it seems to need twitch reflexes. slowing it down somehow may help?
  • goes by too fast. I did not see the opportunity to move plane lines of attack, just rolls, etc.
  • If the air combat is just a vehicle for getting to the tactical combat, I guess emphasizing the benefits for air upgrades and their stats more so than now?

Tactical Combat

Steam Deck?

• Are there plans to support the Steam Deck? If so, I have one and would love to test the demo there and report back on anything. However, if there are no plans to support the Steam Deck, I am not going to spend the time. :) It would be awesome, but there are only so many things you guys can tackle at one time. I totally get it.

Overall, I just want to say thanks for all the care and love you are putting into the game. I really got that original XCOM feel, and that.... just one more turn feeling. I am not sure if any of this is helpful, but I appreciate the opportunity to post.

Thanks!

We haven't looked into Steam Deck support at all and there's no guarantee - but it would be helpful to maybe have an indication of what issues currently exist!

15 minutes ago, Gijs-Jan said:

We haven't looked into Steam Deck support at all and there's no guarantee - but it would be helpful to maybe have an indication of what issues currently exist!

Sounds good. I will install tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Not sure where to add in additional thoughts or comments. So just putting it here. I've played through the demo time limit about 4 times trying different things.

GEOSCAPE

• On the GEOSCAPE it would be great to see a list of everything in process, in order of time. (I think they did this with Firaxis XCOM). But have a list on the GEOSCAPE of current research and time to completion, engineering orders and time to completion, expected orders or transfers, etc.
  • It just makes it that much easier not to have to go to the other screens to double check what is currently in process.

On 2/17/2023 at 12:31 AM, Gijs-Jan said:

I have been using solely Steam Deck for several months and haven't found any Steam Deck related problems. Only thing needed for quite fluent (imho) play is customize the default Keyboard and Mouse layout e.g like this:

• Left trackpad: Numbers 1-9 (radial menu)
  • L4/R4: Q and E keys (for rotating tactical map, making fighters roll)
  • L5/R5: Ctrl and Space (target ground/wall and mark soldier done respectively)
  • Y: Inventory (i key)
  • B: R key
  • X: Enter
  • A: Crouch (c key)

I think this custom mapping should be downloadable from Steam Deck community layouts, name is "Keyboard and Mouse for X2".

6 minutes ago, mclang said:

I have been using solely Steam Deck for several months and haven't found any Steam Deck related problems. Only thing needed for quite fluent (imho) play is customize the default Keyboard and Mouse layout e.g like this:

• Left trackpad: Numbers 1-9 (radial menu)
  • L4/R4: Q and E keys (for rotating tactical map, making fighters roll)
  • L5/R5: Ctrl and Space (target ground/wall and mark soldier done respectively)
  • Y: Inventory (i key)
  • B: R key
  • X: Enter
  • A: Crouch (c key)

I think this custom mapping should be downloadable from Steam Deck community layouts, name is "Keyboard and Mouse for X2".

• Having a supported layout would be great! And the Deck let's you customize it however you want. The key is having a keyboard mapping to items on the screen.
  • The game runs REALLY well on the Deck.

• Love the footprints in the snow. Wish they stayed on the screen. Would be fun to track down those wayward aliens.
  • Can't wait for the release. The demo is so much fun!