Grenade toss around corners

When breaching a room or ufo held by aliens, it would be nice to be able to toss a grenade in through a window or open door without having to stand in front of it. To have a solider to the left or right of the door throw a grenade around a corner. Right now you can really only throw one straight in. I guess there is the possibility that being able to toss a grenade around a corner would be too powerful and not in the sprite of putting your units in harms way. However, since it is being tossed around the corner the accuracy can be lowered.

When I first started playing, I didn't really use grenades at all. Now I have been making a effort to use them more. Breaching a room where you know (or believe you know) contains aliens always stands out as a time for grenades, but I always find it hard to get the grenades in. The balance could be a problem, but I think the idea is good enough for some discussion

It has been discussed several times, usually in threads about leaning round corners, shooting round corners and grenade throwing round corners.

Grenades in enclosed spaces don't really need accuracy.

What would be the down side of this tactic?

What makes it a decision to use this rather than doing something else?

Only thing I can think of is that the grenades might damage something I want to salvage.

Otherwise you can potentially kill or suppress multiple enemies with no risk to your own troops.

Personally I would always drop smoke on the doorway before I breach, then go in with a combat shield.

Grenades will be more likely to damage what I am after than a couple of breachers.

You can do the same thing with grenades.

Drop smoke for cover, step up to flash and frag the area then move in with breachers after.

The downside to that in real life is that you're likely to over or under throw the grenade. Not so bad on the underthrow, but very bad news on the overthrow. Throw it too hard and it'll bounce off the back wall and bounce back toward you!

Probably outside the scope of this engine to simulate that, though.

The whole grenade system needs to be redone, but I'm against indirect fire modes (where you can attack the enemy without revealing yourself to enemy fire) because I think it could be abused.
If I remember correctly I think I was possible to toss grenades over an object in the old XCom. That's a form of indirect fire, no? I doubt it could be abused much. Your guys simple can't carry enough grenades to win by blowing up every location on the map.

They can easily carry enough to swamp the inside of a UFO without ever being in danger if they can throw round corners though.
That's probably true. It's too bad there isn't a minimum delay on the grenades that would allow individuals (both Xeno and alien) to run for cover if they have reaction points available. That way you could TRY to swamp a UFO, but it probably wouldn't work on anything but the tiniest ships. Instantly detonating grenades aren't very realistic. I hope the AI will be smart enough to run away from any undetonated explosives it sees.

Or pick them up and throw them back? :P
That would also be cool! Imagine the frustration when the C-4 you just tossed lands back at your feet. LOL.

I've read historical accounts where grenades went back and forth in a deadly game of hot potato. Most of them have a five second fuse.

Edited by StellarRat

• 3 months later...

Chris...remember...we can bounce grenades off a wall around a corner..so can aliens : )

Once I'm done digesting all the info here I'm going to make a AI tactics thread for you dev guys showing the set ups you could have the alien ai's use to up dif by situation based pre-planned tactics AKA battle drills and ambush set ups