Melee Attacks

Khall

I'm wondering how melee attacks will work in game. Will each weapon have different values, e.g. pistols have a lower AP cost but lower damage than a rifle butt, or is it a flat damage and ap cost across all weapons. Will any of the stats affect it e.g. higher strength = higher damage, better accuracy or reflexes = better chance to hit (assuming it's not 100% all the time). Can the aliens melee back? I suppose it will have higher stun damage than normal damage (if your fighting someone it's more likely they'll fall unconscious before you kill them)

• 3 weeks later...

And once the throw function is implemented for all items you can even haul these stabby weapons at the enemy once the ammo is depleted.

Wait there is going to be a throw function, isn't it??

How am I supposed to throw the rockets from the rocket carrying guy to the rocket shooting guy?

Let alone throwing alien corpses into the chinhook when I have to leg it and don't want to come back emtpy handet :P

The old throw everything system was abusible in so many colourful entertaining ways :D

Well throwing armed rocket launchers from loader to shooter will be problematic once they are stabby. humhom....

Lol, too scared to ruin the surprise by opening that spoiler? I can't believe that no one did it yet! :P

Guess that comes with the ..err.. improved level of maturity that has to be expected from fans of a 18 year old game. I wasn't even temped but in elated anticipation of the moment when I will discover whatever I will conclude to be that which was hidden by your spoiler cover.

(Does that make any sense? At all? Hmm.)

• 3 months later...
Plus with Xenonaut accuracy point blank range just isn't close enough to guarantee a hit.

If melee attacks were always a 100% chance to hit, then that could be a high risk/ high reward thing. Although I would think that it wouldn't do much to aliens that came out in the late game.

If melee attacks were always a 100% chance to hit, then that could be a high risk/ high reward thing. Although I would think that it wouldn't do much to aliens that came out in the late game.

I don't think melee attacks should be 100% chance to hit... Just like us, the aliens have self-preservation instinct and they will try to dodge the knife-wrench... In any case I think the chance to hit should be determined with the dexterity and the damage with the strength of the soldier.

I think what helped was that you would get those occasions where your stun baton didn't take the enemy down with the first attempt. You'd either have to have a stun team in place, or if you were like me, suffer the consequences in the alien turn.

So, an immediate balance could be the actual effectiveness of such devices here. How much stun does a stun rod stun if the stun rod can stun the Caesian?

I think what helped was that you would get those occasions where your stun baton didn't take the enemy down with the first attempt. You'd either have to have a stun team in place, or if you were like me, suffer the consequences in the alien turn.

So, an immediate balance could be the actual effectiveness of such devices here. How much stun does a stun rod stun if the stun rod can stun the Caesian?

As much stun as a woodchuck can chuck wood, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.