General impressions on build V13

I know I'm new to the forum all in all, but I can't help but notice the rapidly accumulating number of new threads on the bugs forum since v13/13.1 has been released. Now I understand that as far as development is planned, the next step is to add the remaining features in alpha v14 and beta v1 but I think that perhaps it would be wiser to start debugging these problems now before proceeding to v14 where the game will become an unbearable (although I think it reached that point already) train wreck of bugs.

Just my 2 cents about the current situation post release of v13.

I think that the current release schedule is pretty good for getting new features on and debugging as we go. While you say that the bugs are unbearable, you can get further and further in with each release. currently I've had no real issues with this build). The point of the builds at present is to test the features, more than it is about getting through everything. It's frustrating at times, but would you rather have:-

A feature rich game that has time to be tested by the community to a satisfactory degree.

Or

A less featured game, because everything in it has been tested endlessly before the next feature was added.

Raziel1981: most of those bugfixes would probably be likely to be undone as new features are implemented, some might fix themselves when UI is changed and some would just not translate to new UI.

Basically gamebreaking bugs are treated as high priority during feature implementation but small bugs are just timesinks that is better to hold of on fixing until they can be squashed permanently.

On the "Three builds to beta" roadmap, it looks like most of the bugfixes are planned to take place between v14 and v15. If you don't like the game in the state it is in at the moment, why not leave it for a bit and go and play something else? (as I do). We're likely to see a v13.11, even possibly a v13.2 depending on what can be done, possibly some of the bugs that you find distressing will be addressed in those updates.

thotkins/Max_Caine - of course i'd prefare a feature rich game but the differences in the gameplay are quite significant between v12.1 and v13.1. Its not like I'm holding my breathe to play only Xenonauts on a daily basis, but it is the game that i am looking forward more then any other game out there these days so i do find myself quite concerned about it being released as bug-free as possible. The new build definatley introduced some great additions (loved playing with the combat shield in quick battle) but at the same time, the accumulating number of these little bugs is making the new build into a real pain in the *** to play for more then 15 minutes.

Gorlom - The question is what each of us defines as game-breaking bugs. If you mean by "game breaking" that the game crashes in a glorious BSOD and forcing us to cold boot, then no, we're not there and none of the current bugs are "game-breaking" in that sense. But the game is freuqently CTDing for me, which I consider it as a game breaking experience.

I guess I'll be better off putting less time in the game's Alphas for the time being and go play something else. Its just becoming to frustrating to be enjoyable at the moment.

Edited by raziel1981

Of course you want a feature rich game raziel1981. My late night post was a little heavy handed there. I think what I'm trying to say is that this is the way it's supposed to be. No one wants a game that's going to be released bug ridden. This one shouldn't be.

The best way of making sure is to get all of the game features on there and work through the bugs that arise, rather than little steps, solving each bug one at a time. It's more frustrating as a game player, but is far more time/cost effective.

I suppose you're right thotkins, it just seems to me like the debugging process is going to take a heap of time at this rate, as the bugs build up from one build to the other. Then again, its not like I have any experience as a developer so I guess that its up for Chris and his team to stand up to the challenge. At the moment I have the uncomfortable feeling the beta phase taking another 2-3 monthes at the least.

At the moment I have the uncomfortable feeling the beta phase taking another 2-3 monthes at the least.

There's nothing wrong with that at all. 2-3 months is actually rather short for a proper internal beta (not a closed or public beta which seem to be all the current rage).

Besides, it's pretty much madness to try and bug fix a piece of software until it's feature complete, as adding new features (or even bugfixes) can break other features or unfix old bugs.